Can you hear me whimpering?

I just made another batch of lotion and it's separating...again! Aaarrrggh! All the measurements were correct, I subbed per the site owners suggestions, let it cool so I could add the Germaben and it still separated. It's also really grainy.

Any suggestions as to why this is happening? This recipe is off thesage.com formulary. TIA

7 grams Stearic Acid

20 grams Emulsifying Wax

10 grams Hydrovance

45 grams jojoba oil

10 grams Evening Primrose Oil

5 grams MMS Aloe Extract (Avocado Oil substitute)

5 grams Meadowfoam Oil

5 grams Apricot Kernel Oil

2 grams Vitamin E

2 grams Squalene (rosehip oil substitute)

380 grams distilled water

3.75 grams Germaben II

2.5 grams essential oil (optional)

Here is your recipe (roughly) in percentages:

7 grams Stearic Acid 1.5%

20 grams Emulsifying Wax 4%

10 grams Hydrovance 2%

45 grams jojoba oil 9%

10 grams Evening Primrose Oil 2%

5 grams MMS Aloe Extract (Avocado Oil substitute) 1%

5 grams Meadowfoam Oil 1%

5 grams Apricot Kernel Oil1%

2 grams Vitamin E .4%

2 grams Squalene (rosehip oil substitute) .4%

380 grams distilled water 77%

3.75 grams Germaben II .7%

I would make sure that your emulsifiers are closer to 7-8%. You only have 5.5%. Are you melting the stearic and e-wax completely? I also make sure that after I have heated and held my water that my oils/emulsifiers are close to the same temp as the water. This always helps me. I would try upping the stearic to 3-4% and lowering the jojoba or water. Also what kind of ewax are you using? I know polowax is considered the best, but ewax NF is good too. You might have a bad batch of ewax.

Ann M

Thank you all for your input! I really appreciate it!

I'll up the stearic acid and make sure the oils and water are the roughly the same temp when I mix them together.

If I take out water how much should I reduce by?

The ewax is NF and I got it from Brambleberry. If it still doesn't emulsify this time around, I'll let them know.

Since this is a light facial lotion, I am hesitant to add any kind of butter. If there is a particular butter, though, that someone would recommend that is good for the face, please let me know!

Again, thank you for your input and advice!:)

Shea butter is non-comedogenic (just in case, that means, non-pore-clogging) and generally great for the face (vitamins, healing fraction, some UV absorption properties, etc) Might want to consider that :)

Cocoa rates pretty high as far as comedogenicity goes, I wouldn't really want that on my face. Not sure about the rest.

I have used Mango butter too in a facial lotion. Shea makes my skin break out. It's just too greasy for me.

When you up the stearic you can either remove some of your oils ( the jojoba had around 9%) or take away from the water. I would most likely up the stearic to 3% and drop the water to 76% and drop the jojoba to 8.5%. Or you could do 4.5% jojoba and 4% mango butter. I love butters in my lotions.

Ann M

I just purchased some fractionated shea oil. I'm wondering if that would work better than shea butter? I know the FCO soaks in really quickly although I don't know if I'd use it on my face.

Thanks for the tips! I may master the art of lotionmaking this century! :laugh2:

Success is mine! I made the changes that you lovely b&b creators suggested and it worked! I also made sure to follow the lotion making directions from the lotioncrafter.com.

If anyone is intereted in the recipe, I've named it Green Tea & Rose Facial Lotion and have posted the recipe to the recipe section!

Thank you again, everyone!:yay: