Is this a sample troll??

I got an e-mail from a woman claiming to be a writer, I'm sure she is, she did provide "proof" that she is a writer, she gave me a link to a blog and to her personal website.

She has no traffic that I can see directed to her site. She does reviews, but has no comments, no other blogs to link to, and it just looks really sparse.

I don't want to pass up free advertising, but I'm not sure if this is legit.

I sent her a whack of questions about her sites traffic, demographic, rankings and how she promotes the products she reviews.

She's Canadian, has anyone been contacted by a journalist out of Toronto?

If it's Katya it's a scam. Here's an excerpt from one of her scam attempts. This woman brags she has scammed hundreds of free lip balms and gives them away and sells them on ebay even.

+++++++++++++++

Hi!

I've been looking for quality lip balms and found great interest in your

product. I'm organising a Spring Carnival event where multiple products will

be handed out in goody bags.

Therefore, I'd like to make a large order, of around 100 units or more of

your lip gloss/ balms.

Would it be possible to receive any sample before purchasing? This would be

much appreciated since my colleagues and I like to try out products before

making final puchasing decision.

Thank you

Katya. P

#604- 8255 Boul St-Laurent

Brossard, QC, Canada

J4X2A7

This is the e-mail I originally got:

I am a Toronto journalist who contributes to many publications, both locally

and internationally and I wish to be added to your media contact list,

alerted about new products and sent any catalogues and other support

information.

I have worked extensively in the field. I have written and published over

600 features and articles for magazines and newspapers, including The

Toronto Star, Toronto Life, Sweetspot.ca, The Writer, Numb, The Dalhousie

Review, New England Theatre Review, Hypergraphia, Paste, Washington Asia

Press Newspaper, Ascent and RicePaper, to name just a few.

If you would be kind enough to send us samples, I would write about it. I

write about new products and services at *website*

where your products can be featured. Product samples can be mailed to us at

the address below

Many thanks for your assistance with this.

Very best,

Stephanie

Lovely Lathers: I can't see the thread you sent. :confused:

nevermind/I registered over there

I got one of these too but was stupid enough to send her samples BUT I got wise when she emailed me back and said that she received them and was thrilled. She then asked for more since her "writing buddies" were going to do an article in the UK. I began to dig further and found it to be a scam, amazing!

I tried to dig a bit, I find it hard to beleive that her blog receives as many hits a day as she claimed (she e-mailed me back today with the info I asked for). MY personal blog gets 100 hits a day and has close to 1000 incoming links to it. While hers has 4 incoming links. So I find it hard to believe that she gets 400 hits a day. She also said that she has no idea what her click through rate is (which she would know if she had a program - the same one that tells her what her hits are)

I checked out her e-mail and its a hotmail type of address. Also, the reverse look up on her phone number dosen't provide any information either.

I'm going to ignore it. I've got several customers who have reviewed my products on their blogs, I send them free samples too - with a purchase.

It just dosen't "feel" right. Perhaps if her "review" blog was organized better, having categories so people could find what interests them, and just I dunno.....LOOKED more popular and put together. Then I'd consider it.

Thanks everyone.

My opinion, an unbiased critique of your product cannot be written if the writer receives free product. So if anyone ever request product to do a review, tell them you would be honored if they did the review, but they would need to purchase the product, because you do not want to be involved in an unethical review.

JMVHO

BubbleBath

My opinion, an unbiased critique of your product cannot be written if the writer receives free product.
I agree. They should place an order just like everyone else, so that they can see how a typical customer gets treated. If I am considering to buy something (based on someone's review), I would not only care about the product's quality but also how good the customer service is.

Bubblebath:

That has got to be the best solution all around. Thank you so much, I will stick that in my arsenal for next time.

To date, everyone that has reviewed my products has bought them first. I send along samples, but I do that with every customer.

You are brilliant, and you made my day!

Here i was thinking that I would have to deal with this kind of thing on a regular basis.

As a previous newspaper reviewer, she is correct...Real Reviewers purchase their goods...they do not receive goods/service for free as it does not allow for an ethical review. When restaurant reviewers go to a restaurant for example, they pay for the meal and don't even identify themselves so they don't get better service or food than would normally be given. This applies to any kind of product or service reviews that are legit.