Silly question about custom blends...

Hi everyone,

Please forgive me if this sounds silly, but I was wondering, when folks talk about their 'own unique' blends, what type of blends are they talking about?

Does this mean something like mixing a pure soy and pure parafin to get a blend? I guess I'm looking for suggested blends or types of parafin to start at??

My 415 is doing well, but the tops are very inconsistent, no matter what temp I pour at. I was thinking of adding some parafin to it but was wondering if someone could recommend where to begin?

I guess you could say I'm just so confused!

Thanks so much for any help you all could give me,

Suzy

I tried blending a few different paraffins with my GB 415 but I have no idea what happened. The tops sunk in big time and gave me ugly tops but I am going to try it again.

I had a case of GB 444 which is the 415 with a 2% universal additive that was giving me nightmares trying to get a decent candle with it. I now mix my GB 444 with IGI 4627 paraffin. I make it up as a 70% of the 444 with 30% of the 4627. I have gone down to as little as 10% paraffin and up to 50/50 blend. The 70/30 just seems to work best to suit me.

I no longer have frosting. I get pretty colors, creamy tops and a great burn with this blend.

You can try any of the paraffin container blends with your soy. It just takes a little playing and testing to come up with the look you want and the burn you want. I found wicking is much easier with a little paraffin added too.

Hope this helps some!!

Thanks so much for your help Jami! I was thinking about trying the same parafin that you are experimenting with! I was hoping to find some TODAY

(:laugh2: ) so that I could play this weekend, but the companies I tried here in Illinois need 24 hours prior to pickup. My hubby and son are going to a 'male bonding' camp thing, so I'll have the whole house to myself for the entire weekend! No interuptions...yay!

I'm just wondering because oh my gosh, my tops after the burn are crater-ish, if that's even a word! Most times I can get a great, smooth top after the pour and setup, but boy, after the burn, it's just downright fugly!

I went through my supplies on hand, and found some J50. I don't know if that would work, but my curiosity has me, so I just might try it until I can get some 4786.

Again, thank you so much! (BTW...burning an HTP wick that you recommended from a previous post...seems to be going well so far!)

Suzy

Thanks for the recommendation Isbennis! =) By the way, I love your labels and company name! I saw that post you made several months ago and fell in love instantly!

Ya know, Greenleaf is one company I have never tried! Wierd, huh? Do you have any FO recommendations from them that you woudn't mind sharing? I figure hey, while I'm ordering wax I might as well try some fo's, right? lol

Thanks again,

Suzy

Jami....you have no idea how badly they need a 'duh' smiley because I've had more of my share of those on this board than I care to admit too! lol

I'll definately let ya know how things go. I will be playing this week and I did order some GL 70/30. I can't wait! :yay:

~~hugs~~

Suzy

Yea, but their price is so much higher than if you blended your own.

Yes that is true CM...but at least for me...it was worth it to avoid the time and shipping to get different brands of soy and paraffin along with additives as well as how much time would be spent in the lab trying to get it right...:tiptoe: so for me in the long run it worked out to be less down time and more production time which we all know time is money...lol :wink2:

Thanks for the recommendation Isbennis! =) By the way, I love your labels and company name! I saw that post you made several months ago and fell in love instantly!

Ya know, Greenleaf is one company I have never tried! Wierd, huh? Do you have any FO recommendations from them that you woudn't mind sharing? I figure hey, while I'm ordering wax I might as well try some fo's, right? lol

Thanks again,

Suzy

Thanks Suzy...your compliment is much appreciated...:cool2: I find that most of GL's fo's are great...my favorites are Indonesian Teak, Sarsen and Maduro. Also if you are interested in a blend I believe that KY carries what is close to a 70/30 blend for $49. for 55lbs or .89 cents per pound...GL is $72. for 63lbs...or $1.14 per pound. I currently have a sample of KY 50/50 and so far I like it so I may also switch to their 70/30 since it is less expensive. HTH

Hopefully one of these day's I'll learn to blend my own...with this MS brain of mine, however, this is a scary thought!

Today I almost put my mascara on my lips for lip liner! :laugh2: oh.my.gosh.

Sometimes I wonder if I should even attempt this whole candle thing! :shocked2:

But anyway, enough about my deficiencies, thanks so much for the help and guidance everyone!

Suzy