double wicking question

I double wicked a 10 oz apothecary jar with 36-24 z's and scented it Hyacinth. Within 1 hr to 1 1/2 hours I had an almost complete melt pool (it was kind of off a bit because my wicks weren't perfectly centered :angry2: ) and it was about a 1/4 inch deep. Is this is too fast a melt pool? If so should I try single wicking it or go with smaller double wicks? (Is there such a wick smaller than the 36 z's?)

Sounds like your wick is too big if you got a melt pool that fast. The problem is once that candle has been burning awhile, you risk cracking the jar because the heat is too intense with the size wick you used. Whether you single wick it or double wick it you want to shoot for approximately 1" (in diameter) per hour until you reach a full melt pool. I don't use the apothacary jars nor zinc wicks so I can't help you with the sizing on those, but I'm sure someone else does and will probably chime in. Good luck!

I single wick my 10oz apoth/keepsake jars. I was using zinc core and was using 60's. I got a good melt pool, and the throw was awsome. But as we all do, I wanted to try a few different ones, and found out that HTP wicks work just as well. If you want to double wick I would suggest HTP 105.... course I came across HTP1212 wicks, and they work well as a single wick..... HTH.. :cheesy2:

(Is there such a wick smaller than the 36 z's?)

Hi Izzy. I use 10oz apoths and zinc wicks. Yes there is a smaller wick. I use the 34-40 sp. zinc from Candlewic and they burn gorgeously. On some heavier FOs I have to you the 36-24, but for most the 34-40s do it.

HTH

Ginger