My lotion went gritty?

I made up a batch of lotion based on a recipe from MMS. (my first batch! I was so excited!!!)

2 grams Citric Acid

14 grams Liquid Glycerin

24 grams Stearic Acid

49 grams Emulsifying Wax

40 grams Mango Butter

70 grams Sweet Almond Oil

20 grams Colorless Jojoba Oil

823 grams Distilled Water

8 grams Germaben II

3.5 grams FO

I did made a few mods, though. Went a little short on the water because I wanted a thicker lotion and used a different preservative. It's a really nice lotion (which is a good thing because I have a heck of a lot of it!) but I noticed that after it sat overnight and I was using it the next morning it felt a little gritty. It all absorbs in if I keep rubbing, but initially is feels like little solid particles suspended in the lotion.

A few comments...

1) I'm sure that everything was melted

2) I did not feel any solids in the lotion after it initially cooled down, noticed if the next day

3) It doesn't look like it has actually separated... there's no oil film or anything like that

Anyone have any ideas on what might have caused this? This batch is staying at home, but I'd like to share some samples with my friends at some point.... but can't give them gritty lotion! :shocked2:

Thanks much!

Sounds like it might be the mango butter crystallizing, maybe? Butters can do that sometimes, especially shea. Some sites recommend heating your butters to a pretty high temp, some denounce it, but rapid cooling seems to be generally agreed on as a good method for avoiding it. One of the lotion/cream vets might be able to give you more detailed pointers.

ditto on what ^ said. I had some stearic that did not melt as well.. I started using my stick blender per Jenny at lotion crafter. It was night and day on how my lotion felt. I have never had one seperate, or the fragrance oil start to float on top since. HTH

I melt all my oils, butters and emulsifiers and keep them warm. I do this while my water phase is heating and holding. I keep my oils warm so that when I combine oils and water they are near the same temp. I have never had a problem with my lotion going gritty. I have used shea, mango, kokum and cocoa. I also use a stick blender to combine. It works like a charm. Some lotion makers suggest heating and holding the oils just like you do the water phase. I do make sure my oil temps are very warm and everything is completely melted.

Ann M

Great comments! I knew someone would help me figure it out. :cheesy2:

My stick blender is currently on order :yay: so that sould help. I mixed up this batch with a regular hand blender. I did keep things at a fairly hot temp for a bit but it is possible that not all the steric melted. So with my new tool and some more knowledge, we'll see how the next batch goes.

Thanks all!

Great comments! I knew someone would help me figure it out. :cheesy2:

My stick blender is currently on order :yay: so that sould help. I mixed up this batch with a regular hand blender. I did keep things at a fairly hot temp for a bit but it is possible that not all the steric melted. So with my new tool and some more knowledge, we'll see how the next batch goes.

Thanks all!

I can't stress enought to go to www.lotioncrafter.com and look up the different recipes there. You will find out what the appropriate phases are and what temps you need to hold the water at, and what temp your melted oils and butters should be. THis way you also know that you have effectively killed all the bad mojo in your water, butters, oils etc.. A stick blender will do wonders for your butters and lotions. My body butter does not even look the same compared to when I mixed it by hand. I was afraid to incorporate too much air in my emulsified body butter. I keep it as close to the bottom as possible and never lift it out while powered on. Good luck and keep us posted!

Teri