How Hot Do Your Tins Get?

Okay, I've decided to give the 8 oz tins a whirl. I've been using HTPs (double wicked), and while I get a nice steady burn, full melt pool in about 3 hours or so, the tins are getting super hot after about 3 hours or so. Hot enough you wouldn't want to keep your fingers on it . So I guess my question is, "What is acceptable?". I don't sell (yet), but in the waaaaayyy future, I wouldn't want future customers burning their fingers, or having the hot tin ruin the surface it's sitting on. Is it possible to have the tins stay cooler (I worry that if I switch my wicks to a smaller size, I wont' get a FMP)? Any thoughts?

Thanks!

D

For me, I am using HTP-104, single wicked. It takes a few hours to burn to the edges, when it starts it tunnels a few millimeters then catches up, so I still get the full burn of all the wax.

ETA: 104's are the average, I've had to wick up and down a step for a couple of testing.

I've got the wicks fairly close to each other (not to close to the sides of the tin). I could NOT for the life of me get a single wick to work with my wax combo. That being said, I didn't try the 104s. I'm a zinc wicker and have decided to switch to the HTPs (which I LOVE), but I'm still trying to figure them out. Thank you for the suggestions. I like how the double wick looks, and it burns so nicely......but I'll try the 104 and see how it does. Thank you :)

I've never wicked an 8oz tin but use CD-18's and CD-20's (single wicked) in my 6oz tins with no heat problem. I can easily pick them up without burning my fingers.

Not sure what to tell you but my first thought was that the double wicking is what's causing your heat problem.

Tart, I had the same problem with the 8 oz sq. tins. No matter how I wicked them they just got too hot for me to feel comfortable giving them out.

The best burn and melt pool I got was using 2 smaller wicks vs.1 large one.

I think the tin absorbs heat faster than glass and will feel hotter at the same temp.

Thank you guys :) I'm going to attempt the single 104 today, but I'm thinking I just need to bag the tins and stick with jars. I do the 4 oz tins, and they don't seem to get as hot (but they're single wicked with zincs). I re-burned my 8 oz last night and it was just way to hot. Thank you for the cork on the bottom suggestion, that would work. Guess if it doesn't work out, I'll have a ton of wickless for the ol' candle warmer, LOL.