What could this be?

DeJae

Ok, got a challenge or maybe not for you experts. There is this stuff

that is scented/colored jelly that is used for burning oil.

I had a friend that does chemistry try to analize it and all he could come up with is that it is some kind of polymer that gels and then when heated would throw the scent but would also liquify. Any ideas??

Do you mean gel candles? If yes, that should be in the Candle section.

Found this excerpt on gel candles from http://www.dld123.com/hshnewcandles.html:

Gel candles are made from specially processed petrochemical mineral oils gelled with plastic polymers, poured into glass containers. You can recognize gel candles by the clearness of the gel (which is often colored), the rubbery texture, the glass container, and they often have "embeds" in them. Most gel candles are also scented with artificial fragrances, some highly so. Because gel candles are made from the same petrochemicals and fragrances used to make paraffin candles, the hazards of burning them are similar. However, the greatest danger is that candles that are improperly made or have glass containers that are too thin tend to explode, with tragic consequences. Here are a couple of real life stories about the dangers of gel candles.

My former secretary had a gel candle burning in her bathroom...it exploded and caught her house on fire°and they lost everything. The fire Marshall told her that this is not the first incident where a gel candle has exploded and caused a fire. He said the gel builds up a gas and often times it explodes and sets fire to the room it is in. The fire was so hot it melted the smoke alarm. They didn't discover the fire until there was an explosion, which was her toilet blowing up, and then it was too late...the entire upstairs was engulfed in flames. Smoke damage and water damage have destroyed what wasn't destroyed by fire. My husband had a gel candle lit on the top of the entertainment center. He saw the candle burst into flames. His first instinct was to blow the candle out... the gel from the candle splattered and went everywhere, including his face. He had first, second and third degree burns all over his face. The gel doesn't cool like wax does, so the bits that were still on his face continued to burn him. And you can't wipe the stuff off; it just rolls up and keeps burning.

It not worth taking the chance when there are safer candles available.

If you mean jelly fuel/gel fuel/etc it's apparently alcohol with thickeners. Shouldn't be hard to color or add scent to, I suppose, but it's generally used as fireplace fuel? I've only found one instance of scented gel fuel, that's a citronella one by Sunjel, although, there was a Japanese restaurant near my house that used a small blob of pink gel to keep my syabu-syabu warm. Always wondered what that was. Probably the same thing, just colored.

No no, not gel candles at all

Hmmm, this gel, is kind of like chopped up Jello, BUT when you put it in a warmer, in time it liquifies, when it solidifies (cooling) it reminds me of a soft piece of plastic.