candle flame too high

Hi,

I am using C-3 and Wellington FO's with about a 3 1/4" container with 1 oz per pound FO's....having trouble finding the right wick...I have tried RRD's, HTP's, ECO's, LX's and CSN's and zinc cords and the problem is once I get the right melt pool, I notice the flame is way too high for the candle..l trim the wick to 1/4" or under and still no luck....does anyone have any suggestions...

Thank you in advance...........

i.e....I used an eco 10 and it burned to the edge of the glass, then I used and eco 8, that flame was too high also, but did not burn to the edge....we have wicked up and wicked down with many different wick brands and are having the same effect with all....they are all flamethrowers

We have had the best luck with premier 700 wicks. We too tested all kinds and had the same results with the c-3. We use mostly 750 in 8 oz jellies and 770 in 16 oz mason, having to wick up with the heavier oils. We got our samples from wicknclip.com

They do come in 760. They come in alot of sizes, I believe in increments of 5 so that you can really fine tune things. We could actually use 745 or 750 in our jellies. My sister and I really like them. They were only ones that we found that did not leave a huge amount of black soot on the jar with the c-3. They should burn really clean for you. Wicknclip only sells large amounts, but if you need fewer you can get them at soycandle.com. Good luck. I hope they work for you as well as they did for us. Karen

ARe you DW'ing or just single wicking? If not, It might help to DW this jar. I have a jar right now that I am testing that is giving me such fits. It's very frustrating so I can certainly sympathize with you. Actually, I think we all can. ;)

Try the CDNs from JBN (or anyone else that has them). We use them in our C-3 and have found them to be very reliable in both C-3 and Palm wax. We use scents from Wellington, JBN, Peak, SOS, CS, etc. with liquid pigment. As far as we are concerned, CDNs are da bomb.:grin2:

We have begun to wick one size smaller than we really think will work because we have found with containers that it frequently takes less wick than one might initially think and that once the container gets goin', the initial overhang (if any) will disappear. If we go for the immediate big melt pool on the first burn, many times, the container ends up being overwicked with mushrooming and black buildup on the wick. HTH