making soaps and candles?

can you use cake pans for molds when making soaps and candles if so what can i put in the pan so that my mixture will come out easy i hear you can use pam spray or petroleum jelly

What type of soap are you planning to make?

As eugenia said, no aluminum with lye soap (HP/CP). If you're using Melt & Pour soap, you can use pretty much anything. No pam spray, petroleum, or butter needed. You can line the mold w/ freezer paper to make it release easier, but if you're using ordinary shaped plastic molds, you don't even need the freezer paper. Once the soap hardens, it'll pop out w/ no problems.

HTH

Sharon

You can also line a mold with plastic like from Hefty bags. It's a pain getting them in the mold with no wrinkles but that is an option. On the old CT board is a great tutorial from eugenia on how to line a log mold should you ever get one of those. You can adjust for a slab mold too. As for me, no lining and no soap sticking to the mold is what I love about my Kelsie mold.

I would also suggest that if you haven't, go through all the old threads and read, read, read. There is much to be learned there and often times, you will find an answer to a question you have or may have in the future. Plus, you can get some really good ideas!

Why can't she use aluminum with HP soap? It should be fully saponified before it hits the mold.

If there is any amount of lye that is not disolved it will eat the aluminum. I have never had this happen, but once I put HP in one of those non-stick mini-loaf pans and it ate the non-stick stuff right off and I had flakes of it in my soap. It was nasty. I even had lye eat the painf of of the inside of a presto pot while it was cooking, leaving black things in my soap. Thats why I use a crock pot now..haha.

But you can use anything for a MP mold, I would avoid for CP & HP like everyone said. Aluminum would be ok for HP but if there is the slightest amount of lye not dissolved, it will eat ahole in the alumnium. So, if you do it make sure your soap is fully cooked.