m&p questions-newbie

NamaNama

I have everything to make m&p first time. Am confused about the molds. Do you use petroleum jelly, alcohol or nothing? Do you cover the bowl with plastic or not? If you just cut up the chunks how do you know you have the right amount? Am using Chemistry Store m&p shea butter. Has anyone used this and is it good? Can you remelt and add more chunks if you have too much for one batch? How long can you wait to use it before it starts to set up? I've read where this is the easiest soap to make. Am I making it harder than I should?

I've read where this is the easiest soap to make. Am I making it harder than I should?

Yep. Best thing to do is just give it a try. Not exactly sure what style m&p you're trying to do. Regardless, you have to just jump in and do it. Fastest way to learn is on-the-job training. ;)

Good luck and have fun.

You can weigh your chunks to know how much you have.. if you're following a recipe that's important.

I don't put anything in my molds like petroleum jelly or alcohol. The soap will come out just fine. If it doesn't come right out you can put the mold in the freezer for five minutes or so and then try it. I do line my log molds when I make a large log of soap.

I use alcohol to spritz the soap after I've poured it in the mold. It zaps the bubbles.

Once your soap is set up you can use it right away.

Have fun with it. :)

I have everything to make m&p first time. Am confused about the molds. Do you use petroleum jelly, alcohol or nothing? Do you cover the bowl with plastic or not? If you just cut up the chunks how do you know you have the right amount? Am using Chemistry Store m&p shea butter. Has anyone used this and is it good? Can you remelt and add more chunks if you have too much for one batch? How long can you wait to use it before it starts to set up? I've read where this is the easiest soap to make. Am I making it harder than I should?

M&P is very easy and loads of fun! It's VERY forgiving in that you can remelt a few times w/ no worries.

You don't need anything in the mold except the soap...it'll pop right out when it's cool & hard. Once it's set up (maybe an hour or so) , pop it out, take it to the shower & enjoy!

Welcome to your new & fun addiction!

Sharon

:wave: welcome newbie!

I'm also a newbie, and started with m&p, too. No need to cover the molds. If you have extra chunks, you can save them or re-melt to use for another project.

Most importantly, have fun!

Mp is definitely fun and easy. I just made some pink blossom soap and it smells amazing. I blended two scents together. I also curled the colored soap and added it to the regular base. Going to use it in the morning.:yay: