Help....problems with V-1

Ok,

first time using this wax and 100% soy..here is my problem. My first batch I did I poured my votives at a temp of 155. There was a little shrinking (V-1 supposed to be one pour right?) and I also get this white frosting spots on top...I figured I would try another batch. My second Batch I put in some Universal additive just to see if that would stop the frosting spots..well no it didn't. I still have the patches of white and shrinkage. I decided to do a second pour and now the top is cracking...

What is the wax trying to tell me I am doing wrong?

I melt to about 180 and pour from 150-165...what do I need to do with this wax...

thanks

I only tried once at making votives with the V-1 and had the same thing with the cracking happen and so I gave up. I thought of mixing alittle C-3 container wax with it to see if I could make one without the cracking happen but not have it too soft but havent gotten around to trying it yet. Just a thought

Sandy~WI

Ok,

first time using this wax and 100% soy..here is my problem. My first batch I did I poured my votives at a temp of 155. There was a little shrinking (V-1 supposed to be one pour right?) and I also get this white frosting spots on top...I figured I would try another batch. My second Batch I put in some Universal additive just to see if that would stop the frosting spots..well no it didn't. I still have the patches of white and shrinkage. I decided to do a second pour and now the top is cracking...

What is the wax trying to tell me I am doing wrong?

I melt to about 180 and pour from 150-165...what do I need to do with this wax...

thanks

Hi,

I've had extensive experience with V1; it is a tempermental wax. During the winter, I had cracking like you wouldn't believe. Now that it's warm, I'm not having problems.

Frosting comes from cooling the molds too close together.

Cracking seemed to come from molds that were too cold. I popped my molds into the oven for the winter season and they came out better except the bottoms turned funky because of wax residue.

Heat guns are good for the cracking. Cool them in a room temp setting, too.

Good luck!

update: I tried another batch and with my container wax added...I heated to about 175-180 and poured(2 votives) at 130 degrees..on one the top came out good and on the other the center of the top started to shrink in a bit...I took them both out of the mold and they and frosted on the sides..ugh..

I then melted one back down...heated the molds, had it by itself and covered...well hours later I looked at it and the top has a sink hole in it and it has frosted again..Poured at 135 degrees....

I guess my next step is to heat at a lower temp and pour at an even lower temp them 130 and see what happens..

I gave up on soy votives..i switched to palm wax..its prettier & i haven't had one single problem. Well take that back..i have had acouple times having pin holes on top from air pockets, but a heat gun will fix it.

V1 is a tempermental wax. I think I tamed mine by adding a couple of tablespoonfuls of beeswax. We'll see when I test burn one later today.:wink2: Excessive frosting can come from the particular color or FO you are using... My supplier consulted with his NatureWax rep and was told to try pouring at very low temps (like down to 125°) would alleviate the frosting and cracking. Cooling slowly with good circulation all around the candle (especially the top) helps a lot also.