Flat or Square for Poured Tapers

So, as mentioned a while ago, I cannot do dipped tapers in my small work area, so I have gotten some more rubber taper molds. I have not used square braid in my BW tapers, just flats, so I want to retest again with both just to be sure. (I'm doing some tonight with Chris' recommendation of 2/0 square).

I always thought flat was the way to go with tapers. If you use one or the other flat or square, why did you choose one over the other?

TIA!

Henry when I first added 100% beeswax molded tapers to my business several years ago, I tested flat braids and just couldn't get a good enough, dripless burn with them and I tried just about all the appropriate sizes. Each and every taper would drip and I just didn't want that kind of burn. I also found them to lean a bit. When I switched to testing the square braid, I tested the 2/0 first and found it to be a perfect burn with paraffin or beeswax. I trim the wick to about 1/8", which gives a nice size flame and no smoking. I will trim the wick again during the burn if I see the flame getting too high also.

Thanks Chris! I tried a set with 2/0 and another with 3/0 - we'll see how it goes! BTW, I got some of those wicking needles --- I don't know how I lived without them! You can wick anything with them - from taper molds to finished pillars. I've done up to a #4 square with them so far.

Keep me posted on how the wicks work for you. I certainly hear ya on the wicking needle.......after many years of use, mine isn't so perfectly straight anymore but stills works terrific!! :cool2: