Rough top for soy wax container candle

I'm new to making soy candles (or candles in general) and am having problems with rough tops after the candles have cooled. :confused:

I have to go back and run my hair dryer over the tops to smooth them out. But, sometimes, even that doesn't work very well.

I heat my container soy wax to 160. I cool it to 125 and add FO. Then I pour at 100. I do not heat up the container itself. Maybe I should? Especially if I have the air conditioner running (it's been really warm here and going to get hotter).

Any suggestions would be welcome!

Thanks!

I use soy, and if I let my wax cool until it's slushy (cloudy and thick) I get very nice smooth tops.

I'm not sure if you have tested your candles yet, but you might get a better hot throw if you add you fo at a higher temp. I add mine at 170, right after I take it off the heat.

Good luck, and have fun!

Do you heat your wax in the microwave or in a double boiler-type set up? And I thought if I add the FO at a high temp it would burn off?

Thanks for your help! :grin2:

I started off heating wax in the microwave, then purchased a presto pot after a few months, and saw a big difference in the way my candles turned out. I think my microwave was to hot. The company I buy my suppiles from recommended adding FO right be for you pour into container to cure. I just stuck with adding it at higher temp. Maybe I'll try some tonight.

If you are getting the rough tops after burning, that is just the nature of soy, and if it bothers you, you can try adding maybe 2% beeswax to help those after burn tops settle down. Oh yeah, there is also USA, that may also help. But just use one or the other, not both. HTH!