Test burns....sigh

hi

Here are 3 test burns with different wicks...not sure if the pictures came out the best...

3 hour burn time...

red candle has= 2.5" 44-24-18 zinc wick---4794 wax

green candle= (just for kicks) I used 6" HTP 83 which I trimmed down--3/1 4794 to gb 415 wax

purple candle has 2.5" 36-24-24z zinc core--4794 wax

**not sure what the wick numbers mean by the way**

I think you can see the big mushroom on the red candle but I can smell it in my living room...

purple candle has a little mushroom on it but I can smell it weakly in my small bathroom..

the green candle no mushroom but can't really smell the scent (has a weak scent to begin with though..green grass)

I am not sure what to think...I guess I don't mind the mushrooming as long the FO is ok, but the flame is kind of big..

I guess I need to find new wicks...

post-7500-139458425786_thumb.jpg

post-7500-139458425789_thumb.jpg

post-7500-139458425791_thumb.jpg

To find the best wick make sure all the testers are the same scent. Once you find the wick that has the right melt pool and not to large of a flame with good throw, use that as your starting wick. Some scents may have to be wicked up (larger wick) like vanilla.

BTW - Don't burn them all at the same time (I know it is a slower process) but that way you can tell how the throw is for that wick. Also keep detailed notes, so you can repeat any candle you make.