Why are hydrosols so much more expensive than EOs?

I feel like I must be missing something here. I wanted to use a hydrosol in a face wash, but it is so much more expensive than if I just used the straight EO, which would be much more potent. Does anyone know why hydrosols cost so much?

Well, I didn't really word that right. What I meant is, because one would have to use so much more of a hydrosol, they seem to work out to cost more than if I just used the straight EO and distilled water instead. KWIM?

I wanted to use the hydrosol in my lotions and in a face wash in place of distilled water. But for how much I'd want to use it seems like I'd be better off just mixing the EO with the product and then adding water. So I guess I don't see the point of a hydrosol. :confused:

I occasionally use a hydrosol as part of a lotion formula, but not very often. It should be added during the cool down portion (but calculated as part of the water phase) so the fragrance is more likely to stay intact.

My favorite product to use hydrosols in is actually a facial spray or toner. I like mixing different hydrosols with witch hazel, and using it as a toner.

In lotions, it very well may be more cost effective to just use the EO rather than the hydrosol. I pretty much only use Rose Hydrosol in lotions, because it's just too cost prohibitive to use the EO. I can't even afford a teeny tiny bottle. But I LOVE the smell of Rose Hydrosol. I save this for facial lotions, very upscale. It's not something I'd slather all over my body, no matter how much I want to sometimes!

HTH!

Thanks for the info. Yeah, I wanted to use a neroli hydrosol. I can't afford the EO either. But the hydrosol was comparable to other hydrosols, like lavender. So it's pretty worthwhile. Even still, for a facewash, to use it as the water portion, it'd be pretty pricey. Maybe I'll still give it a try and see if people like.

Anyway, thanx.