Universal Additive?

I'm testing the Calsoy CB3 and falling in love with this wax!:yay:

But I'm noticing (as has mentioned on here many times I'm sure) that the wax kinda separates and crackles some around the wicks and the surface isn't as smooth as I'd like.

I've been reading about the universal additive and seeing that anywhere from 1/2 tsp to a full TBS per lb is required and does make the top smoother. Does it also make the wax harder so that I'd have to wick up?

Also I read that it can make the candle appear grainy. Is that a big problem with using this?

One more thing - what is the main benefit of adding 3% beeswax?

Thanks for the help!

Hi Vicki,

I use the Calsoy CB-3 too. It is a great soy wax -- GREAT cold and hot throw, easy to wick and burns slow. I use the universal additive. I did not use the CB-3 without it long enough to know for sure if you will have to wick up or not. But I do know, it really helps with the tops. The tops will be real smooth (for a soy) with the UA. However, I can get slight dips which will create a hairline circular crack. You may not get this problem. I believe it depends on the type of jars. Some others on here that use this wax do not get the dips and hairline cracking. I believe their jars are shallower than mine.

I should say though that the dips and hairline cracking happens more with my test candles that I make without the wicks. Not sure why this is. Maybe the wick supports the wax when setting up. Even though I can get the dips and fine cracking and have to use the heat gun, I can still get the tops to be smoother than if I did not use the UA at all. I can also get frosting with certain oils and dyes, but I can live with that. I just bought some of the new dyes that are out called "Pryme" and just poured a candle tonight with it. I poured Country Grove with the brown dye which I get the most frosting with. I can't wait to see how it sets up.

Maybe someone else on here can advise you better on whether you may have to wick up or not with the UA vs. not using the UA. I don't believe you will. I use 1 tablespoon of the UA per 1 pound of wax.

I have not used Beeswax with soy, but I believe it helps with the tops and with frosting.

HTH :)

~Holly