A Couple Of CP Soap Questions

SueH

Being a CP newbie i have a few questions. First of all, is there a rule of thumb about how much FO to add to a recipe?(Like 1oz per pound) I've researched but haven't found an answer. Second, after your soaps are cured, can you store them inan airtight box or do you have to use something with air circulating through it? Last of all, what do you do with bits of soap you've trimmed off soaps? Sorry for so many questions but I've been bitten by the soapmaking bug!!!

I'm still fairly new to soaping (about a year now) but I can answer your questions. First, yes, most people use 1 oz FO/ppo. That being said, it's based on your FO. You can use a lesser amount on the stronger FO's (ex: Peaks Lavender). Second, I believe most people are either packaging their soaps after they are cured or using some sort of storage box (cardboard or the #5 Sterlite) and allowing a small amount of air circulation. Third, if you have enough scraps after a batch, you can make soap balls or save them and shred them up for confetti to be used in another batch. HTH

I use to store my soaps in those plastic shoe boxes and I will not do this anymore. I suppose they wouldn't be that bad if you left them open, but they you couldn't stack them. All of my soaps were effected by keeping them in those shoe boxes.

I'm looking for boxes the size of shoe boxes that will allow air circulation.

As for amount of FO, I use anywhere from .5-1.0 of FO pp of oils. If it isn't strong enough at 1.0 oz, I won't buy anymore of it, because FO is too expensive to add anymore than that (IMO). Most of the times I'd say it's .7 oz.