Storing Tarts in Buckets

Cissy

I have a busy schedule coming up and need to make lots of tarts of my best sellers in advance. I need several 5 gal buckets. I'm trying to get out of paying shipping for polypropylene. I saw some 5 gal buckets w/lids at Lowes, but they are Recycle #2 (HDPE), not sure what the lids are. I package tarts individually, but want to store them unpackaged in the buckets and package as needed...trying to get the pouring done ahead. Since our FO's are shipped in HDPE bottles, do you think I could store unpackaged tarts in the 5 gal HDPE buckets for 4 to 5 mos w/out worring about them losing scent? Any advice on this? TIA

Whoa - they moved the resin codes - I had to go find it again.

http://www.americanchemistry.com/s_plastics/bin.asp?CID=1102&DID=4645&DOC=FILE.PDF

I think I would ask a supplier about the bottles that FO are in. This says items with a short shelf life - but that's a relative term. FO's stay just fine in them, but I would hate to take a chance on buckets full of product...

You could get tubs with the #5 on them in the same size as the buckets, couldn't you?

Georgia, I can get the 5 gal buckets with #5 for around $10 ea by ordering them and paying shipping, too, (which I am trying to avoid.) I just thought maybe if FO seems to be OK for a short while in the HDPE bottles, then it might be even more OK mixed with wax in a HDPE container for 3 to 4 mos. I really don't want to have to rotate tarts from the bottom of bucket each time I package them. I have dozens of the family size Gladware #5, which I store tarts in for a few days at a time (or until I sell them, usually not over a week or two.) I have also stored some in the large plastic containers like Walmart has, much larger than shoeboxes, but the lids are not as tight as I would like. The buckets from Lowes are in the paint dept., and seem to have air tight lids. I think they are also used for paint buckets, so should be tight enough. I've got my short-term storage going with the Gladware, but they really don't hold but approx 30-35 tarts. I need to pour several hundred of best sellers in advance due to upcoming limited time so I won't run out at a time I can't repour. Maybe I should go ahead and invest in the more expensive ones & pay shipping, so I won't have to be concerned with them losing scent. or Joy, I suppose I could order some large polypro bags, and put them in the Lowes buckets. I just thought maybe someone had stored large quantities before and could advise.

Thanks for your suggestions.

If I was in your shoes I would get the proper containers with the #5. I would hate to store them in something else, and go back in a few months and find they were all ruined.

I have the shoeboxes, and even though the lids are not super tight, the scents do not mix being kept in the same area.