Did I do somethin wrong??

Okay, i decided to try HP soap today. I used rooto lye. My ingredient included 16 oz lard, 8.5 oz olive oil, 10 oz soy wax, fragrance to 4.4 ounces of lye mixed in 5 ounces of milk and 5 ounces of water. It turned out a tan color and has this bad smell. what did i do wrong?

Hi,

Does it smell like ammonia?If so,it is the milk.Most of the time it will go away as it cures.

When I soap with milk(s),I do cp.I freeze my milk flat in a baggie.I get all my my oils melted and ready to go,add my frozen milk to the lye.As soon as the lye is dissolved I add it to the oils.

I do not insuate my molds.

I have gotten the best resuts with this method.This wasn't my idea,I **think** it was Cyndi from Muller's Farm.

HTH,

Hello, I did the same thing the first time I made milk soap. That brown to dark tan is burnt milk. The lye is too hot. The lye gets up to 300 degrees. If you add milk that is half frozen it comes out great. It is suppose to be a cream to light color for milk soap. If you burnt it real bad, it will not smell good when cured, but still will clean wonderfully. Try again, because you will succeed and when you do, the out come will be wonderful!! Happy Soaping!! Ö¿Ö

Thanks for all of your help. I will try again in a few days. How long should the soap cure? I've already cut mine since it is just a tester. The soap smells horrible and looks even worse but leaves the pleasant georgia peach fragrance behind when you use it.

:o Umm, color me stupid but do you guys mean actual soy wax- like the kind used to make candles? I think you mean soy shortening -like the crisco type stuff but I just want to make sure? I though that was hydrogenated soy oil. If you do mean actual soy wax what kind of a bar of soap does it make?

:o Umm, color me stupid but do you guys mean actual soy wax- like the kind used to make candles? I think you mean soy shortening -like the crisco type stuff but I just want to make sure? I though that was hydrogenated soy oil. If you do mean actual soy wax what kind of a bar of soap does it make?

They're all variations on the same thing. Straight "soy wax" is flaked vegetable shortening from companies like Golden Brands. They sell it mostly as a food product but some of it goes to candlemakers. The Crisco shortening from the store is a special recipe of hydrogenated soy and cottonseed with additives.

While I don't have experience with it yet, I know you can use any of these things in a soap recipe. Thing is, the characteristics will vary prom product to product so I guess you just have to estimate the sap value and see what kind of soap it makes.

Some companies like Nature's Gifts sell products that are still mostly shortening but are specially formulated for candlemaking purposes. They provide sap values for the different "waxes" on their website so I guess you can use those too. I don't think there would be any problem with trying CB-Pure Soy or CB-135 in a soap recipe.

As for what kind of soap it makes I'll leave that to the experienced people. I understand it produces a harder bar compared to unhydrogenated oils, kind of like you shifted the qualities a little in the direction of stearic acid.