ISO easy lotion recipe--never done it!

Ruina

Hi everyone,

I'm ready to try making my first lotion. I'd like to try a recipe that doesn't have too many ingredients. I'm just learning & don't have alot of stuff, but I'd like to use shea butter.

Also, I've been reading & know I have to sterilize my bottles. How do I sterilize plastic lotion bottles? Can anyone help?

Thanks a bunch!!

Here is one Cindym posted awhile ago. First one I ever made and it was delish!! Came out perfect. I subbed a bit, think I probably used shea butter.

HTH,

Glo

Emulsified Body Butter

15.6 ozs Water

1.5 ozs Steric

1.5 ozs E-wax

7.5 ozs Olive OIl

3 ozs Avacado Butter

.3 ozs Fo Black Raspberry Vanilla

.3 ozs Liquid Par Optima

.15 ozs Vit E

.15 ozs Dry Flo

I made this in a swap on the whisk and received quite a few requests for the recipe so here it is. Just follow regular lotion making intructions. Have fun.

You should not have to if they are kept sealed up from the mfgr.

Thanks Eugenia, unfortunately, they were delivered unsealed, caps & bottles in separate packages. If I just rinsed them out with alcohol, will that be enough?

Thanks gloworm. Yes, it sounds wonderful. I have this one on my to-do-list. I just don't have the stearic or dry flo yet.

I think saw a recipe on this board that was easy. Only water, oil, shea, e-wax, and perservative. Similar to the one on Lavender Lane & Soapnuts. But meaurements were in tbsps instead of percentages, so I thought that one would be a good place to start, but now I can't find it. Any ideas?

If it is for your own use, just use cornstarch instead of dry flow up the e-wax

I can do that cindym. By how much should I up the e-wax? Same amount of stearic? What do you use to dissolve the cornstarch so it won't clump up?

I'm sorry for all the questions. I want to get this right. What's the life span for this with the preservative?

You are whipping this with a mixer so the dryflo/cornstarch wont clump, plus it is such a tiny amount. I made this several months ago (I'm thinking 4-5 months at least) and have a bit left-kind of an unplanned test of will it get yuckies or not and it has stayed great. Can't answer the e wax question for sure, but just go for it if it's just for you to try. I sub all the time and always end up with something usable.

Glo

don't know if you wanna go this route but Kangaroo Blue offers an online basic lotion class. You buy the kit...log in and get the step by step.

Hi Incandessence, Thanks for your input. I looked at the site. Couldn't find the lotion kit.