Glassware for drink candles

TheWickChick

I bought some wine and champaign glasses at Goodwill that are relatively thin glass. Do you think this is safe for Gel candles? I certainly dont want them to break while lit.

In your experience, how thick does the glass have to be to be safe and show good results?

I stay away from the thin stuff the risk is just to large for me. How thick really depends on the opening of the glass I have some champagne flutes that I would never dream of putting a candle in way to thin. If I was to pin it down nothing thinner than question, it would be a 1/16th of an inch. That is the average wine glass thickness.

I would suggest that you make a candle in one that you think might be thick enough and then while watching it very carefully, burn it all the way down. You might need several lightenings to do that, but it would be very much worth your time to know that a certain style and thickness of glassware is ok. Another thing to watch with buying used glass- I have done that too- is to be very very careful to inspect them with even a magnifying glass to be sure there are no hidden chips or cracks in them. I guess new glass could have the same problems as well. Better to be over carefull, I'd say.

HTH

Soapymoma