Sellers - who has insurance?

RobinInOR

Sellers - do you have insurance?  

114 members have voted

1. 1. Sellers - do you have insurance?

• Yes, I'm covered.
    • No, but I'm actively looking.
    • No, and I don't intend to get any.

Unfortunatly, Insurance company rules and regulations differ from state to state. Also, some of you who have your insurance with a Major carrier like Allstate or Statefarm need to check and see if your insurance is actually underwritten by that company...or if it is brokered out to another company.

I write insurance for Allstate but I have broker authority with a couple Mutual companies that write only business ins. In the state of NY, Allstate or any of my broker companies, will not write PL for a candle or B&B business. However, they will in Florida...or at least that is what I have been told.

I had a friend who is an Independent Agent write me a 1million PL policy for my candles and B&B ...it only costs $182.00 a yr!

If any of you are in Upstate NY pm me...I can hook you up. NYC...sorry...cant help.

Dont give up...Insurance is out there at a reasonable price.

My agent is in Nebraska where I live. Only thing I just realized after looking at it is that it doesn't cover my building which is my home...So I need to make sure my homeowners does. Or add it to one of the policies.

When I was on the hunt for insurance I called some agencies out of state and did not receive a return call. I read on CT where State Farms, etc weren't writing policies...but called anyway and got a policy. Underwriting called me about my candle business and asked about methods of selling etc. So they do know. I wonder why it varies state to state.....weird.

Here are some places that will help you:

farmersinsurance.com (some have local agents - get your insurance locally!)

Acuity (are you in the midwest? They have local agents!)

BombaInsurance.com (strictly for the home based business, no storefronts)

RLIcorp.com

I checked out these sites, and both BombaInsurance and RLIcorp clearly state in their list of businesses that they do NOT insure "candles made by individuals"

No go on the Farmers for me either. :cry2:

However, I got a postcard from a local insurance company and emailed for a quote so hopefully they're able to help!

I am so bummed!! My insurance company here was insuring me for 8dollars a month. Last month they decided that they wouldn't cover me under home based business anymore. I have to go to a commercial policy which will cost me about 80/month. Still not too bad, but when you are still a small business, I may not even sell 80 dollars worth of candles in a month.

This an older thread - hope you don't mind me "dredging" it up.

For anyone planning for the future or who might hope to open a little store. I have recently got insurance and will share my experience and what I pay - hope it helps someone.

I have a little shop - the back is all work space with a 150 lb melter in the back with a handmade divider wall and retail sales in the front. I sell candles, body care and loose leaf teas. It was a bit of a pain to get the insurance and may not have been able to if it weren't for our awesome insurance man - woo hoo Gary Campbell! :cheesy2:

To get the insurance, they needed to see copies of all the labels I put on my products including the decorative front and the candle burning warning on bottom. A complete list of every ingredient in every product and a handwritten statement declaring that I don't make any claims on my teas regarding healing or curing diseases, illnesses blah blah blah.

Estimating that I hope to sell around $50,000 this year, I pay $173 monthly. It's a lot but necessary. And since my rent is so cheap, it's affordable.

ps - if you do decide to step out and open a store, your landlord will require you to carry insurance so you'll be needing to check into it if you go in the direction. I didn't have any while pouring at home, but probably should have :D - now that I see the catastrophes that can occur. Some people just don't have a lick of common sense! And it could end up being at your expense :sad2:

Another thing to consider - I pay 16% Workmen's Comp for anyone employed in my shop even if they just run the cash register?? In fact when I had a kiosk at a nearby Mall, I paid 16% for my girls sitting on the stool and selling candles - simply because they would swing by the shop on the way to the Mall and pick up a few boxes of candles. But because their feet touched the floor of the place where the candles are manufactured, all of their time was considered hazardous!! Explain that one?? :angry2: Doesn't make sense when my husband pays 13% for his employees who handle high voltage electricity??

Sorry to ramble on - but these are all things to consider as your company begins to grow. Hope it helps someone.