Wicks wicks, what wick would work?

Wicking this weekend.

I will be making my first candles this weekend.

I'll be making some hurricanes, containers, and pillars.

My question is on the pillars. I'm getting 3 inch round molds, 4.5 6.5 and 9.5 in hieight, not that that matters, although it means I need to buy it by the yard, it seems.

What kind of wick should I buy for 3 inch pillars that comes in the yard?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. I'll be shopping for my first supplies on Saturday. :grin2:

A 24 ply flat would be a good starting point for 3" pillars if you're wanting to buy it by the foot. It will still depend on which wax, FO, additives, etc you use too. Searching here will give you a lot of info on the different wicks that might help too.

I have to say though, that if you're just starting your first candles this weekend, you'd be much better off to pick one type of candle to start with. All three you listed will use different waxes and wicks (those that burn).

Yep, I'm getting high melt hurricane wax for the hurricanes (no wick questions here. giggle), low melt wax that says it throws scent well for the containers, (getting container wick tabs) and just regular ol' IGI 1343 wax for the pillars, with Universal additive and no FO. Gonna be silly and making it a deep red with blue convection stripes to see what it does.

I'm expecting zero success, but lots of learning. lol.

Anyway, I didn't know what wick to use at all with all the zinc and cotton and blah blah blah choices, so I wasn't sure on that.

But thanks for the advice, I'll try that.