Question about coloring for a primitive look

I have these new tart molds that are absolutely adorable! They are shaped like hangtags and have either "Joy" or "Blessings" written on them and have a primitive/grubby look. I want to keep them with un-colored bases, but am wondering what I can add to make them look more primitive. Is there some kind of layering or swirling technique or maybe other materials I can add that will not effect the burn? I tried searching for the words "primitive look", but didn't find a whole lot! Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Jen

• 2 weeks later...

I think you want grubby, Take a look at some of my auctions? I don't know if this was your question. http://cgi.ebay.com/Silicone-Candle-Mold-Prim-Cone-Ornie-Star-Crow_W0QQitemZ120017588527QQihZ002QQcategoryZ41207QQcmdZViewItem

Grubbing: Take a container and add oil of your choice and cinnamon. Make it like pancake batter. The longer it sits, the better the color. After demolding your item, use a paint brush and lightly brush with the mixture over your piece. Use a soft cloth and wipe the excess off. Then take a dry brush and rub in cimmaon gently. Easy as that!!! Coloring: I use liquid Ivory. Sounds funny but that is the brown color I get. I use one eye drop for 12 cups.

I think you want grubby, Take a look at some of my auctions? I don't know if this was your question. http://cgi.ebay.com/Silicone-Candle-Mold-Prim-Cone-Ornie-Star-Crow_W0QQitemZ120017588527QQihZ002QQcategoryZ41207QQcmdZViewItem

Grubbing: Take a container and add oil of your choice and cinnamon. Make it like pancake batter. The longer it sits, the better the color. After demolding your item, use a paint brush and lightly brush with the mixture over your piece. Use a soft cloth and wipe the excess off. Then take a dry brush and rub in cimmaon gently. Easy as that!!! Coloring: I use liquid Ivory. Sounds funny but that is the brown color I get. I use one eye drop for 12 cups.

That is an interesting way to do that!

I'm gonna give it a try.

Thanks for the information. :highfive:

I'm thinking the oil is fragrance oil ... the Ivory coloring is the color that you put into the melted candle wax ,,, and the ratio is one, full eye dropper to 12 cups of wax.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm a little confused :undecided ... can you help us out here Van Yulay?

Sorrry about that, I got slammed this week with orders,LOL... good problem to have. Ivory it the liquid dye I use. It makes a rustic color when used in large quanities. You can't make that color with adding different color dyes. I love doing prim, now. It took awhile to get it , but now it is my number one sellers. Monca

lmao!!!!

Ok now I feel real stupid :embarasse

When I read Monica's post and she said liquid ivory I automatically went in to Ivory Soap mode...thanks for clearing that misconception up for me buddy!

*Slinking back to down another coffee or two before making another post!*