anyone with a good newbie recipe to try??

izzy2

Does anyone have a good newbie recipe to try? I have no idea what kind to make and I have no idea which oil does what (like lather etc, feel etc). :cry2: I want to do a small one or two pound batch. A couple of items I have on hand are cocoa butter and coconut oil. I will pick up what else I need when I get a recipe to use. I've checked out the Miller soap website but like I said I have no idea what ingredient does what. Can anyone suggest something easy but something that will still produce a nice bar? TIA

Can anyone suggest something easy but something that will still produce a nice bar? TIA

Sure can! 10% castor oil (you can get it at the drugstore) 90% olive oil. This a a castille; the castor helps to add bubbles. Will take some time to cure but will get rock hard over time. Super gentle, mild soap. I would go with a 2 lb. batch at the smallest.

e

Ok I went to the link that sudsnwicks provided and have a question (although it might be a stupid one) :rolleyes2

Do you want a few different oils that will give you a characteristic from each column? (i.e. almond oil gives you stable lather and conditioning. Coconut oil doesnt give you a stable lather or doesn't condition but it does create a hard bar and fluffy lather. So would this make a good bar since it has a characteristic from each group?) Does this make sense or am I talking in circles. :P

Thanks for everyone's replies.

It is not necessary to have every characteristic to end up with a good soap. For example, castile soap, which is made with all olive oil, wouldn't have some of these characteristics, yet is a wonderful soap. It is my opinion that any basic handmade soap is going to be superior to its store bought counterpart. The chart is just a guideline so that you can add in the ingredients for the characteristics which are important to you.