What causes a fuel smell ?

Brooke

I have a candle burning that I mixed 1/4 lemon and 3/4 sugar cookie for a lemon drop cookie. My tarts smell awesome but my candle has a fuel/mediciney smell.

I can't figure it out either because that is such a low amount of citrus FO it should have been fine.

Something about the heat of a burning wick seems to be the root of my evil lol

Yep, I have some citrus scents that I can't make into candles only wax melts and B&B products.

Candle man, does this happen with the same scent regardless of the vendor? I have ALOT of people who love this lemon cookie scent so I really want to get it into a candle that smells good, not stink lol.

I haven't ordered lemon from any other vendors for fear of the same results so now I am curious.

Thanks!:D

I've always heard that a sense of smell is not universal -- like, if you smell fuel, someone else may not. Whatever your nose tells you one scent smells like is not what everyone knows that same scent to be. It has to do w/ the receptors of the nose & how many high/mid/low notes of any given scent you can detect. I've heard that those who can pick out the fuel smell have more of their receptors in place & are detecting more of the chemical notes that make up the scent. I do know I've had fo's that I hate because they smell like fuel & others think it's a wonderful true scent -- a lemon comes to mind.

Susan.