The dreaded subject of insurance

Tracey

I have researched this a bit on some other boards. I wondered if anyone new of insurance companies that will cover bath n body products as well as candles. I am located in Minnesota. I am hesitating in contacting my agent(independent agency with lots of resources) for fear it will jeopardize my current homeowners coverage.

Opinions/help/suggestions....

Does anyone out there do shows, sell on line, etc without any? Also, does any one know if you should set yourself up as an LLC would this help protect you in a lawsuit should one arise???

Thanks

Tracey

If you can look through the archives you should start there... there has been a lot of discussion about it.

LLC- means limited liability. Basically, if you are sued any money compensation comes only out of your business not your personal assets.

Everyone has their comfort level regarding their business and what they choose to have. I have been operating a home business focusing on soaps and have not purchased insurance nor am I an LLC. I have spoken to my attorney and said that he felt like the risk for me was not there..... I think that it is personal comfort levels. Some people get carried away with insurance but you need to know what could happen (worse case) if you didn't have it.

It is pretty hard to successfully file suit against a soap company unless you lied about ingredients or did something really stupid.

When I have a store front one day I will carry insurance and everything required by law.

HTH.

I do not have insurance (yet) either. Just can't afford it at this point. I agree with mountainmadness that it's partly a matter of your own personal comfort level. I sell online, do the occasional show, as well as sell directly to local customers. Right now it is retail only. If I did wholesale or had a retail location, I'd definitely look into getting insurance. There was a thread about insurance here last week. Someone mentioned the company Acuity - apparently they are able to cover both candles and B&B (not all companies will cover both).

I have been selling for 3 years-although not in mass quantities or anything. Now I am starting to do some shows (first one in November) and have a greater interest in my products. I have total faith in what I sell and I test my candles extensively I have read some mixed opinions. My candles are labeled as are my bath n body products-all ingredients and "warnings" so to speak. I know I totally cover myself that way.

Thanks to help ease things a bit and I'll do a search and see what I come up with.

Happy Friday

Tracey