400g candle, fo?

I can't measure my FO in gms or oz as I don't have digital scales, YET ;)

I have to use a pipette and do it in ml.

So for instance if I use 400g- (well one for instance is 340gms of wax), how many ml of FO would I need.

I have 135mp? straight forward paraffin, but also have ECOsoy container and pillar blend wax.

I know its 6% max for the paraffin, is it the same for the soy, and how can I measure it in ml?

Can anyone help with this inconsistancy nightmare?

This isn't an easy question to answer since you are mixing weight with volume. Whatever answer you get will be a approximate until you can get a scale.

Using your 400g and 6% FO: 400g x 6% (.06) = 24g FO Using this website http://www.candlesupply.com/converter.html for the conversion I entered 24 and selected grams. The ml amount is 21.65.

Keep in mind that FO's have different dry weights that I don't think will show up in liquid weight (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) I would play safe and stay at the 6% for FO's until you can get a scale. Converting to ml with heavier FO's will bring the 6% higher in your formula.

hth,

Chris

Why don't you just do the old 1 oz per pound thing. That's 29.6 ml. The resulting weight is going to vary depending on the FO. It's possible to compensate but I don't think you want to get into that. Just get a scale when you can.

BTW I don't know what that calculator over at candle cauldron is doing. You can't convert between mass and volume without knowing what the substance is. I suppose it's based on water but FO is different.

my oh my, don't know how I've been getting any scent throw at all then, although I have.

If I get a 50ml bottle at £2.95 thats half a bottle nearly for one pillar. £1.50-ish per pillar?

Daren't tell you how much I 'havent' been putting in :embarasse about 6ml

I'm not sure what was used for the calculations. That was why I suggested going on the low end to compensate for the heavier FO's. :)

WNW-I know when I am testing I use 1 oz (28.4g) to 1lb (453.6g) of wax. Usually the most expensive material in the candle is the FO. When you start buying your FO's in larger quantites the price will go down some. I have several FO's that would equal your pound equivilent. Your next purchase really should be a scale. It will make your life so much easier. :wink2:

my oh my' date=' don't know how I've been getting any scent throw at all then, although I have.

If I get a 50ml bottle at £2.95 thats half a bottle nearly for one pillar. £1.50-ish per pillar?

Daren't tell you how much I 'havent' been putting in :embarasse about 6ml[/quote']You only want to put about 1/2 oz in 135 MP paraffin anyway, unless you're using Vybar or some such thing.

You only want to put about 1/2 oz in 135 MP paraffin anyway, unless you're using Vybar or some such thing.

I didn't know that, that explains why if I try to put anywhere near 1oz FO into my paraffin wax the candle sweats! I thought I was doing something wrong.

Thanks for the advice.

Lisa

:)

You only want to put about 1/2 oz in 135 MP paraffin anyway, unless you're using Vybar or some such thing.

aah, thanks TOMH, and (testing here) I'd only use vybar to make the candle harder and illiminate any mottling etc.... so don't have to use it?

I've got my notebook out, thats gone in xx

aah' date=' thanks TOMH, and (testing here) I'd only use vybar to make the candle harder and illiminate any mottling etc.... so don't have to use it?[/quote']

If your objective is to make a smooth, unmottled pillar, 1/2 teaspoon Vybar can be helpful even with 1/2 oz per pound of fragrance. It can produce a harder, dryer, better-burning candle.

Using 1/2 to 1 teaspoon Vybar would also allow you increase the fragrance level, but you don't have to.

I was thinking it was 10% to wax and a 400g candle would be 40g of wax and that would be a good couple of tablespoons. It actually makes a nice rippled effect on chunks ;) but obviously not what I'd want on pillars.

Is it the same amount and principal forr soy pillar? or should I post that on the vegetable wax board?