idea hit me

I use a $15 griddle from Wal-Mart and put my pouring pots on those to melt stuff down. I was happy to move away from my kitchen, turned the dining room into a candle area, but was still doing double boiler for repours and melting, then I saw a thread on here and commandeered my griddle I use for breakfast stuff. I think it's a Presto too actually.

Same thing here, I bought it onsale at target for $14.00 and I put my tester jars, pouring pots, you name it on there to melt down stuff. Thinking of getting a second one soon

lol, I am thinking about a second one too! :)

I put tins, jars, pouring pots, my pyrex measuring cups to pour, and I warm my glass containers on it before pour. Since the glass containers require different temps, I was considering a 2nd to keep at the lower temp.

Thanks for the definition! I'd never heard the term before reading this thread, but I remember trying a "homemade" version of this years ago when our AC went out at work and we set bowls of ice water in front of fans.

Jane

Here's a picture of one. They are also called evaporatoive coolers. You keep the sides wet where the pads are and it cools the air going into the house. You can have downdraft, sidedraft, or window units, and I think they actually make freestanding units now. They don't work very well when the humidity is high, but they are great for places like Colorado and West Texas. When I was growing up, one of my jobs was keeping the pads wet, but now they have a water line system that distributes the water to the pads.

More than you wanted to know, eh? :)

150_0000001758_0000001707.jpg

Thanks for the picture--from the looks, I would have thought it was a regular air conditioner. Of course, here in Alabama we have to have the heavy-duty models (the heat index today is 105)!!

From the description, I was wondering how you kept the pads wet--glad to know it's now automated!

Jane