One large wick vs 2 smaller ones

I went out to the store and picked up a case of the wide mouth ball jars. I have a series of HTP wicks - 5 of each. Can I use say (2) HTP 52 wicks instead of one larger...maybe HTP 104 wick? Is there a difference in burning? I'm sure you're going to say yes, :grin2: but what's the difference? I'm using CB 135 Soy.

I have been using the wide mouth jars with KY soy and now with GB 444. My HTP 105's didn't clean the jar so I switched to CD 16's. They easily give me a clean burn.

I am sure others will disagree but the jar is only 3 inches so I think 2 smaller wicks would be too much.

What I would suggest is pour 1 jar, poke a hole as its setting up or use something to create the hole for the wick. Once it is set up, you can just insert your wicks and do a burn to see what is going to give a good burn for you.

I would hate to see 20 candles poured only to find out the wick doesn't do the job like you thought it would. Don't ask me how I know this :laugh2:

I personally prefer the wide mouths because the bigger the candle opening, the more throw you will smell.

Happy Candle Making!

Jami

I have to agree with most of what Jami says.

A 3 inch diameter container should be able to be wicked with 1 wick, except maybe for a heavy scents. You don't want to have to go to large on a single wick because the flame will be to large, and lots of soot. If a container or certain scents require a wick that large then I would use 2 smaller wicks. Anything above a 3 inch I use 2 wicks.

Here's a wick testing tip from another board that may help you decide what to use. That person suggested using a square baking dish -- you can get one from a dollar store that won't be used for food. Place your test wicks in the dish & fill w/ a reasonable amount of wax. Light all the wicks & document your test results to find the wick that gives you the proper dimensional burn. You can place the 2 smaller wicks at the distance you would in the desired container to see how wide the burn pool/flame will be. I know w/ my mixture of soy I never get the dimensional burn the manufacturer says the wicks will produce & this is far easier than testing the actual container over & over again. It also helps determine if the fo needs to be wicked up. Once you finish testing just pop the dish in the oven to melt the wax back down & use the rest of the wax to pour an actual container.

HTH -- Susan.

Wicking partly depends on your batch of wax. I've used single wicks that work in a 3" container and then others need such a large wick they flicker and soot as they burn down. In that case the double wicking is ideal as I would rather have the pain in the toot of two wicks vs. the bad burn. And, many like the two wick look. hth. Beth