Is 6 oz. jelly jar a good place to start?

I am wanting to do container candles. Is the 6 oz. jelly jar a good place to start (soy wax)? I would like to try a different kind of container, but I know that jelly jars would probably be more cost effective. Any ideas out there? Is it best to just start with one size and get that down before adding other sizes?

Yes, it's best to start with one size and once you get that perfected, move on to another size (of course that's my opinion).

I think a 6oz jelly jar is as good of place to start as any. You're right, they are less costly than many other jars. You can pick them up at Walmart, grocery stores, or hardware stores ... no shipping involved that way.

So it seems as though you've decided on soy wax and 6oz jelly jars ... now you have to decide on what type of wick to use. I use CD wicks. Maybe others will jump in.

Yes - The jelly jars are where I started at...and what I continue to use to sell my candles in today.

But now the easy part is over. Next you need to decide what wax you want to use. There are so many types out there. I made my decision based on what is available from my local supplier. Shipping charges on 50-60 lbs can be a lot!

Then there are the wicks available. I was searching for a wick that would work in every candle I poured...and found out there is no such thing:( . I could only go by what was recommended by the wax source.

But then there are variables that will affect the burn - like the fragrance oil and dye. So the only thing you can do is test, test, test. Don't mean just burn it for a few hours - but burn to the bottom to ensure an even burning and smelling candle. Get some some sample wick packs and see what works for you. I started with what was recommended and went 1 size up and 1 size down FOR EVERY OIL/COLOR COMBINATION. You can use glue dots to keep the wicks centered.

Then I weigh out 5 oz wax on a scale - melt - added the coloring - and then add .5 oz fragrance oil (FO) that I've measured out on a scale. (If you go to the wax manufacturer's website it will tell you the temps to melt to and pour at.)

Two other words of caution 1) Don't plan on burning them the next day and getting a strong aroma...soy needs to sit from 3 days to a week and 2) expect to get little white frost lines, funkey looking tops and possibly some sink holes. The more you get into this - the better it gets. This may be the long way of going about it but it's the easiest for me.

Does anyone have a shortcut I can use?:rolleyes2

Thanks for the ideas. There IS so much to think about when a person's just getting started. I'm going to go with Peak Candles, as they're halfway close to Montana, they have good shipping prices, and it looks like they have good products. Choosing what kind of a wick has been hard for me, and I've read such mixed reviews on this forum. Some people like a certain wick, while others have a different preference.....so, I think I'm going to pick two different types and get the wick kits. I can take it from there. Here we go....