Silly salt bar question

Angel91805

My first batch of salt bars finally hit it's 3 week cure this week. :yay:

My mom was over and I handed her *my* bar and she went for the sink. It didn't bubble for her at all. I grabbed the bar and hipped her out of the way and it bubbled on my hands like mad. So, DH hips me out of the way and grabs the bar and no bubbles for him either. What's up w/ that?? I thought maybe DH and mom had oils on their hands from something...so they washed with hand soap first.....and still no salt bar bubbles for them...not even baby ones. For me? It's like the Lawrence Welk show in my sink. (Did I just show my age? :laugh2: Damn!)

Donna

Timely question. I made my first salt bars last week, and had to try one out today. Not a speck of lather. I haven't had anyone else try them yet, as they're still a bit fresh, but I was quite disappointed. Usually I get a lot of lather with my regular soaps even after 1 week.

Well! It sure is an oddity. I used 80% coconut oil and it lathers like mad for me....not big bubbles...but lots of creamy bubbles...LOTS. Sue...when you get that box I sent...you and SO try it and see. What a trip, huh?

I'm with Carol though.....there is obviously something wrong with my mother and my DH. :laugh2:

Donna

Hmmm, I have tried my salt bars and others salt bars and no - the lather just is barely there. those of you who get lather are you adding the same amount of salt as oils? - I guess the classic recipe is 25% shea and 75% coconut oil with the same weight of salt as oils- that's what I do and nope, no lather. I've heard most peoples experience is that there isn't much of a lather. I just use them on my face as I really like a rich, creamy lather on my body.

Bethany

Yup, same amount of salt as oils here. I used 40 oz of oils and 40 oz of salt. I used 75% coconut and 25% other stuff (can't find my notes at the moment, and I just had them yesterday! The Desk Fairies abound!)....bubbly creamy white lather for me, squat for DH and Momma. :laugh2:

Donna