additive experiment continued

Donita

Here are the plain pillars that were "crackled" and the chunkies "crackled". This batch didn't crackle as some of mine do.....maybe the FO....but as far as I can tell....the best true color is the micro.....or if you want splotchy mottle, then use clear crystals. The gloss poly plain pillar has some fingernailing. As far as using steric....in the plain pillar, the oil isn't binding as well as with the steric...but they look almost identical. They change when poured over chunks. The chunks are a blend so that helps with the burn. These are in the same order as before, back row is clear crystals, none, steric....front row gloss poly, mnicro 180 and vybar 103. I have some close ups too. The plain are micro and steric and the chunkies are micro and no additives. I'll bet this is confusing you, but can you imagine what this has done to the little brain I have left :drool: Donita (Now for the test burns)

post-248-139458380909_thumb.jpg

post-248-139458380911_thumb.jpg

post-248-139458380912_thumb.jpg

post-248-139458380916_thumb.jpg

the mottling crackles, but you can't see it because of the white marks of the mottle.....yep....this is confusing....but I just had to see what this 4045H wax does. Candlewic doesn't carry the 4045 anymore and it was a little different. The 4045H mottles even if you don't do anything to it.....it just come that way....so you don't need much FO if you want the look. But to make a smooth pillar, I see that the micro 180 is what keeps the true color that I like and eliminates the mottle. Donita

Hi Donita, Thanks for all the shared info - it's really interesting. I'm curious to know the results of your test burns once they're completed. When test burning, do you do a couple of hours at a time? What length break do you have between burns? I'm still learning and have a 24 hour break between each burn so it takes forever and just want to know if I could speed things up a bit.

Sometimes I burn in the morning then again at night. Of course if you are in a hurry, you can put them in the regrigerator for a short time....just don't get them too cold. I usually burn for 3 to 4 hours or whatever I remember to do LOL.......I usually walk away and forget....but that is what the customer does too.....so if my candles are burning correctly after all of my neglect then I know I am doing something right. I like to burn them all of the way down. We have a plate of candles on the front porch, a grouping of 4, and light them every night. So whoever wants to go outside and sit on the porch has that pretty candle light and I am test burning with the worst conditions....bugs, wind, and a little rain.....We are only on the second set for the summer. These little 4" chunkies burn forever. Now I have a bunch of lavender ones from my recent experiment so I have candles for a few years.....LOL Donita