Universal Soy and UV light

I haven't used those companies. But I do use the universal soy additive. I get mine from the Candlemaker's store, for $3.89 a pound.

http://www.thecandlemakersstore.com/product/ADUSOYA

I believe Just by Nature's has the same thing for about the same price, but for me the shipping was cheaper at the candlemaker.

I use this in C-3.. and I have to say if you are considering trying it out, definitely do it!! I love this stuff!!!

Dave, I have used the Universal Soy additive from Just By Nature and the UV stabilizer/inhibitor from Cajun Candles. I have not used a soy additive from any other source, so I have no basis of comparison except that it does what it is 'spoze to do as described in the NatureWax C-3 that we use.

The UV stuff works very well. We did not use it initially and noticed a bigtime fading when some of our candles were exposed to sunlight for only a short amount of time. The candles made using the UV stuff don't fade remotely as much as without. We use it in both palm wax and soy wax products and even use it in uncolored wax to help prevent yellowing, etc. Again, I have no idea about the same stuff from other suppliers as this is the only brand we have used.

HTH :)

I don't use the GB444, but I read that its supposed to have 2% of the soy additive already in it. I would say that if you are still having problems with glass adhesion and smooth appearances you could probably add a bit more of this to your wax.

Does anyone use uv inhibitor from rustic escentuals/aroma haven? If so, how do you like it? I buy quite a few FO's from them and would like to be able to purchase my uv inhibitor in the same shipment.

Thanks,

Shine

Hey guys,

thanks for the comments. I have been doing a bunch of research and I found out that there are a bunch of different things that you can add to the wax to help in appearance and fragrance load. It appears that the name soy additive or USA could be applied to 1 of 100's of different raw ingredients that chemical labs can create to add to wax to work in soy. I began questioning this when I saw different soy additives (not palm or beeswax) and a handful were a lot cheaper than others. Since I've been developing the soy wax line for my company, I found a need to add something else to help in fragrance load. The GB 444 claimed to have a high load capacity, but I still needed to add a soy addtive to achieve the fragrance load (please nobody tell me I should use less fragrance..lol, I know what I want to do.) The one additive I got cost like $3 a pound once it was shipped and $3 a pound when you're adding it at 6-10% adds up way too much per candle. So I scoured the internet and found some cheaper that I posted this original thread on to see what other people have found.

Then, I went beyond this and actually spoke to people from 1 of the big 3 soy producers and to one of their chemistry people. This is how I found out about all of the different things that could work to achieve the results I was looking for and why there are other additives that are cheaper than others that may work or may not.

The wax giant stated that they have a patent on their waxes which in the chemistry of ingredients include these modifiers to help with the appearance and fragrance load.

Therefore, the reason there are different priced soy additives is because there are different things that you can use to achieve the same goals. Unfortunately, I have only found 2 price classes through suppliers of candle making ingredients with one being tremendously cheaper, less than $2 a pound and the link is in the first thread.

The problem I have is I do not know what these additive are specifically. So to "go to bed" with one supplier is going to leave me in jeopardy if that supplier goes out of business and is not willing to give me the precise ingredient they sold as a soy additive.

Anyway, my main point to all you fellow candle makers out there is that find these cheaper additives through the candle suppliers and test them out. You may save yourself a lot of money in the end, and one companies soy additive may not be the same thing from another company.