Help with Citronella Beeswax Candles

Hello, this is my first post, but I have been reading this forum for about 6 months, and have learned a lot. I need help with my citronella beeswax votives. I used 100% BW, 1 oz. citronella eo to 1 lb. wax. It doesnt seem to blend too well and leaves a dark residue on the bottom of the votives. I have never made scented BW candles before, just plain pillars, with no problem. What am I doing wrong. I heat the wax to 180, then add the EO and mix well. Oh, and when I test burn, I get crackeling!!! Should I use a scented oil instead. Any help would be appreciated.

As far as I know beeswax is reasonably hard and brittle, so I don't think poured candles like votives would work with 100% beeswax. I might be wrong (won't be the first time) but I think that is why you mostly see the sheet rolled beeswax candles when it is 100% beeswax.

Any specific reason why you want it beeswax only? I think that would make a rather expensive candle and I am not sure if I see the point, so maybe enlighten me?

:D Katinka

Some customers like pure beeswax because it is completely natural and very beautiful. I make pure beeswax votives for special orders. They turn out great. Some oils do not mix well with it though. I have used lavender essential oil with success, but have not tried citronella. Is it possible that the citronella is not pure and has some water or other liquid in it besides just pure oil? The crackling makes me think that possibily there is moisture somewhere.

Pure beeswax can be used very successfully with some practice. It can be expensive, but if you have a good source can be a fantastic wax for all sorts of molded candles. I get mine very cheaply directly from a bee keeper. We have to strain it some, but it is well worth the effort for a pure natural product.

HTH

Soapymomma

Beeswax burns completely clean, non-toxic and non-allergenic, it has proven to eliminate dust, pollen, mould, smoke, food odor, pet dander as well as airborne germs and bacteria. These are just some of the reasons we use 100% beeswax candles, and because my sister is a beekeeper, if is FREE. Since we have a lot of it, I have looker for different ways to use it. Is there a source for really good, pure citronella EO? Is a scented oil all that different? Will it keep the bugs away? Maybe I heated the Citronella oil to high (180 degree for the wax).

HI, Yes, the quality of essential oils can vary and it is important not to let them get too hot. The heat can destroy the valuable properties of the oils.

Citronella does help to discourage bugs. I would not say it totally keeps them away. I use it in my soy container "Bug Off" candles with several other repellent EOs. I think in a small area it sure does help. Several on a deck works pretty darned well.

What a blessing to have free beeswax to use. Wow! I don't have to pay much per pound, but the shipping about kills us when we buy it. Do you mind my asking what state you are in. I am in Or. and buy the beeswax from a guy I met when I used to live in Washington. $$$$$$$ for shipping.

The first candle I ever made was of pure beeswax and it is still my favorite substance. I love it!

Keep us posted about how it is going with your citronella.

Soapymomma

Yes, the free beeswax is a blessing. I live in Ontario, Canada, the Niagara Region. (that's Southern Ontario) I will be getting some different Citronella EO this weekend and testing it next week. We live in a tourist area, with lots of campers, I would love to have these available to sell at our market garden booth this summer, along with my sisters golden honey and blueberry honey.

I plan to use Cedarwood EO, Eucalyptus EO, Lemongrass EO, and Peppermint EO along with the Citronella. I have researched this, and it seems these are the most effective at keeping the bug away.

I'll keep you posted and if anyone out there has had any experience with citronella candle, I would love to hear what worked for you. I would really like to make a candle that works and keeps them coming back for more!!!

Hi,

We use beeswax exclusively for our citronella candles, so I would try lowering your melting temperature to around 160. We have had discoloring as well as cracking problems when the temp is too high for our poured candles.

Also, you might try cutting down the mix a bit as the citronella to beeswax ratio sound a bit high. Try a bit smaller amount of citronella and see how that works.

You can also try some larger containers with larger wicks too, for better area coverage rather than a stronger citronella mix. A little of this stuff goes a long way.

Good luck!