Is this statement true?????

I came across this and was hoping someone could tell me if this is true or just a gimic to sell Bean Pod candles:

100% Stabilized Soy Wax! - Why do manufacturers blend Soy & Paraffin?

*100% SOY is known to lose its fragrance

*100% SOY does not have vibrant colors

*100% SOY turns white over time

BEANPOD CANDLES are 100% stabilized Soy Wax... Their Patent-Pending process, TEMPACURE, addresses all the above issues.

http://www.cherrylanecollection.com/beanpod_details.htm

My question is: Does soy lose it's fragrance???? If so, what effect would that have on para-soy blends???

As much anti-paraffin propaganda there has been by SOME of the soy chandlers, I figure it would only be a matter of time before there was some sort of retaliation.... I figure that time is now, and shown in your post above.

I'd have to see some substantiated evidence before I buy a word of that. Sure, some colors are difficult to achieve with soy, and "turn white over time" could be a nasty way to describe post-burn frosting... but I've yet for it to be "known to lose it's fragrance"...

I'm no expert... but that's my $0.02

Thanks Gravity for your response. Truthfully, I was researching a problem that I am having with a para-soy blend that I'm playing around with and came across this. I had never heard that statement before so I thought that this board would be the best place to see if it was true or not. Thanks again.

All I know is that these guys are freaking huge as far as a company goes. Which means they have a lot of money to spend in Research and Development. I bought some wax from a subsidiary of them which once I found out who the company was, I stopped buying from them. I firgured if my company ever launched into mass overdrive, I would not want to buy from my biggest competitor. I no longer think in grandiose terms, but you never know and their prices were nothing special.

They obviously are seeking a patent which is very interesting how the patent office handles such a claim and how broad a patent could stretch in regards to a candlewax. I know there are some patents for different UV absorbers. Since paraffin was developed first in the 1800's, any patent that was ever held on it had expired by the time we came around. The story of soy I was just reading at http://www.ecolightcandles.com/history.htm and is pretty fascinating for us candle makers/historians, and can give you more of the history that would lead up to any current patents that are being sought.

The way I see the claim by beanpod is that sure they probably can make a better wax, but through the use of additives, UV absorber and killer fragrances, there will not be a great disadvantage to the smaller companies making money in our local regions. I personally am not detered by their claims because I have a soy blended candle (138mp, 3% bee, 5% palm stearic) that is 2 years old and still smells awesome.

Well I have a Bean Pod candle that my husband bought me. It is scented in 'hot chocolate' and smells fab when you take the lid off. Burn it and you smell NOTHING. :undecided

I tend to buy the competetors candles too, just to see how they compare to ours. I think we did buy a Bean Pod a few years ago but I can't tell you to much about it.

I have 100% pure soy wax candles that I poured one and two years ago and they still smell great! Nice and strong scent..no fading of scent at all!

I guess with what you and candlemandave have said .... that statement is not quite true. I wonder how they get away with making statements like that??

That lady is paraphrasing. I am sitting hear with a Beanpod leaflet I picked up at Hallmark. It strictly states!

Bean Candles are made from soy beans grown by American farmers. Enjoy many beautiful colors and fragrances and feel good about burning environmentially friendly candles.

*Clean Burning

*Made from 100% Stabilized Soy Wax

*Not a Soy Blend: No Paraffin is used

*Long Burning

*Our Tempacure candles insure a long lasting fragrance

*Vibrant Colors

*Biodegradable

*Made in America; Support Americas's farmers.

They are manufactured by Soy Basics, LLC

As far as tempering. Soy wax is like chocolate. Chocolate has to be tempered to have a smooth appearance. Jason from GB told me that the waxes react better when tempered. So that is somewhat legit they just reword it to make it more appealing. My guess is it is 100% soy with a USA in it. I rather enjoy their candles. But I am looking at the Cucumber Melon right now and it is bright red. The cold throw is great but to me it has the same surface on it just like GB 464 when it hardens perfectly. Not that, that is bad.

Well I have a Bean Pod candle that my husband bought me. It is scented in 'hot chocolate' and smells fab when you take the lid off. Burn it and you smell NOTHING. :undecided

That is what makes me think there is a USA in it. Some container blends will throw awesome when cold but as soon as you burn it the smell is gone. Usually with 100% soy chocolates throw pretty strong.