Need advice

traceyy

So a couple years ago I started making soap, only made maybe 3 batches cp than got too busy to do it anymore. So now that I am back to making b&b I decided to go with M&P I have an avocado base and mango butter base. Made some soap bars and I am not impressed. My hands feel so dry after using it. Which was not what I was looking for, obviously. I have 2 young sons, 3 and 4 and a year old puppy. Where could I possibly mix lye and water to keep everyone safe? I do not have an attatched garage so it is kind of a haul to mix it in there.Where oh where can I make some soap?One more question, I want to do it in the smallest batches possible. Where can I find the smallest mold? Like maybe producing 8 bars or something?

I make a small batch (only 2 pounds). It's the smallest I can go with accurate weighing results. I have four kids and I soap after everyone is in bed for the night. I mix my lye out on the deck and then bring it in. You could pre measure your oils during the day to help speed up your process at night.

My biggest fear was the bouncing of the lye. I remember it would bounce all over the place. I guess doing it in the sink would be the thing to do. Now I am feeling much better. Now I have to find a recipe, used to have alot but have no clue where it is. I am really sad that red devil stopped making lye =o(Does home depot sell it? Or ace hardware? I do not think I ahve a Lowes around hmmm

Rubbermaid drawer dividers from Wal-Mart make good 2 lb. molds. Or uplandsoapfactory.com has great molds. The 12-bar slab or the 9-inch log would work.

I have posted a simple beginner recipe here, in the recipe section, if you're interested.

I'd also soap when the kids were in bed for the night. You don't want them underfoot when working with lye and raw soap batter. :)

hth, and happy soaping!

I think I have my old mold which I beleive was a 2lb walmart mold, must open that bin asap. Im gonna look for your recipe now. The biggest problem I had with cp soap was that I cut like cr@p! I t was all uneven and gross lol I should post a picture lolI really need cutting tips or something

Tracey, I am not trying to sound mean at all and I do want to be supportive, but almost all your questions have been covered in discussions here and there is even more information on questions you don't yet know you have!!! I think it would be a GREAT education if you scrolled through the posts to see what you can learn! If you read anything you need clarified I'd be happy to help you out! I wish you luck with your new addiction!!!

And yes, any recipe CP can be used HP - but keep your lye solution at about 28-30% (i.e., don't "discount water")