rec'd a kit from peaks few questions.....

I just rec'd my 1st kit from peaks, they gave me directions. however, the weird thing is they don't tell me how much wax or for that matter how to figure it out how much I need to use. also How much colorant and f/0 to put into the melting pot. They tell you the steps but no amounts. I think this is quite weird especially when you buy a kit and know nothing about

candle making. This is the main reason of me buying this kit to learn. so, If someone could help me out I would greatly appreciate it since It is snowing here and I would love to try to make my 1st candle. I have a round pillar mold 3 in x 6.5 inch.

cheryl

If you click "general information" on the left side of your screen, there is a calculator to help you figure out how much wax you will need for a certain mold or container.

The amount of fragrance or dye is variable, but 1 oz fragrance oil per pound of wax is usually about right. Are you using the Reddig-Glo dye chips? I usually use 1 chip per pound, then spoon a little wax onto a white ceramic plate and wait for it to cool to see what color it is. In your candle it will be just a little bit darker. Then you can add more chips until you get the color you want. Adding too much dye can clog the wick, but honestly I have no idea how much is "too much"- anyone want to chime in? The most I've done so far is 3 chips per pound and haven't had any trouble with that.

The calculator says you will need 1.45 lbs of wax for that mold. You might want to write that on the outside of the mold with a permanent marker so you won't forget.

thanks everyone....

I too don't understand why they wouldn't give me the amounts or how to figure out the amounts to put in??? they did give the basic directions on how to place the wick etc. well, at least I am glad you guys are here to answer these questions:D .