Problems with fragrance

I am new to candle making, I am having problems getting a strong enough fragrance. Some have no fragrance at all. I have followed directions exactly and still the not strong enough. I am about to give it up.

Nanny, you didn't give us much information to go on to help - such as the wax you are using, any additives, the amount of FO, the temp you are heating to and pouring at, etc.

Some waxes hold FO better than others; some scents throw better than others, some suppliers have better fragrance oils than others...

Give us a little more to go on and maybe you'll get some suggestions that will help you straighten things out to your satisfaction. :D

Sorry, yes I should have given you more info. I have used Golden 464, the fragrances have been Northstar both regular and ultra strength. Also have used NVSoy. I heat the 464 to 175 degrees, ad the fragrance at 150 and pour at 130. I have tried stirring alot and not so much. I started out using 1 oz per lb of wax, have cut the wax down to 1/2 lb. I did just finish some with Indiana Candle Supply fragrance, they seem alittle stronger, but have not burned one yet. Would appreciate any help.

Sorry, yes I should have given you more info. I have used Golden 464, the fragrances have been Northstar both regular and ultra strength. Also have used NVSoy. I heat the 464 to 175 degrees, ad the fragrance at 150 and pour at 130. I have tried stirring alot and not so much. I started out using 1 oz per lb of wax, have cut the wax down to 1/2 lb. I did just finish some with Indiana Candle Supply fragrance, they seem alittle stronger, but have not burned one yet. Would appreciate any help.

The NVSoy, you can add the fragrance at any temp down to about 120. All of CandleWealth's fragrances work well in NVSoy, of course. I use at least 1oz per pound. Some, I use up to 1.2 oz. pp.

For the best "throw", allow the candle to cure for at least a week before burning.

Tony

Is it possible that you have developed candle-nose? Before giving up and thinking your candles aren't fragrant enough, take one to a trusted friend and let them test it out for ya. Sometimes it's nutty how numb my nose becomes to our scents for several days after we have poured. Curing does help many scents to develop, as was mentioned.

I am not familiar with your fragrance suppliers and I use a different wax; however, my best suggestion would be to try some samples from different suppliers. Check for sales, location, etc.

another thing to add is that peoples sense of smell vary greatly. I've had people say they couldn't smell a candle while another will say the candle was too strong. get at least a couple of people to help with your test and especially find some people that will be honest with you, AND try to find people that burn the heck out of candles because they may turn into future customers and will be a much better critic than people who burn a few candles. But, also understand what types of candles these people burn too. If they are getting candles at a dollar store then unless they are the glade candles, you are probably not going to get good information. If you get people that are buying quality candles, then you will get an idea of where your candles are going as far as quality.

Also, some scents I've had to let burn an hour or so to get the scent to work in a room. My method is I have a point in my home that I burn a test scent and if I can not smell the scent in that spot in an hour, then I do not get that scent.

And, most importantly, please understand that a candle can catch fire very easily if too much scent is used. Every scent that you buy has what is called a flash point. What this means is if the scent is heated to this temperature and a flame touches it, you have fire. Too much fragrance will create a pool of scent which can then catch fire. I had an almond scent that had such a low flashpoint that the test candles were catching fire, like torches. I just wanted to mention this in case you didn't know. I don't want you to go adding tons of scent trying to obtain your desired goals and get a flash of trouble.

good luck to you

Thanks Nanny for asking this question. I'm test burning my first candle now, and not really smelling it...I too only let it cure for a little over 24hrs...I'm going to try a week for the next one!

Thanks everyone for your help!

Some times it is just hard to wait. :)