Getting a True Black Color

Just last night I tried out black Reddig-glo chips. The black was pretty dark but slightly reddish- next time I want to try adding just a bit of navy blue.

I remember learning somewhere that as far as dye, there are "red blacks" and "blue blacks". "Red black" dye is cheaper, but "blue black" dye looks more... black. I don't know if we're talking about the same types of dyes here, but I'd imagine throwing in a teensy bit of blue might make it look blacker.

What FO are you using? My mom wants me to make black candles for my dad's 50th birthday and I can't think of a fragrance except Black Licorice, which he would love, but it would probably make me gag while I was pouring it. Blech.

Thanks for the reply. I'm using NG's Jungle Love making black and gold layers. I wasn't crazy about this fo in the bottle but it smells Wonderful in wax. I'll try adding some blue the first pour is looking more of a purplish lmao so I guess I'll have 3 colors instead of the 2. Ewwww black licorice I would be gagging to lol Good luck with it.

As soon as I read your post, I thought a perfect scent for what you want is BCN's "Witches Brew" (just rename it) - http://www.candlesupply.com/scentdescriptions.html#T-Z . The color suggestion is even black. I had a sample and its pretty nice - very similar to what the description reads.

As far as black color - the BEST black for me has been either Candle Cocoon's or BCN's "pitch black" crystals/flakes.

HTH.