GoDaddy Hosting question.....(or other hosts I suppose)

Beth-VT

For those that host with GoDaddy.... how do you determine which Server Operating System you should use, Windows or Linux?

If I were to use straight HTML, or say Dreamweaver, can anyone tell me what the difference is? I know I can call their CS, and probably will, just thought someone might have an easy explanation. TIA.

GoDaddy charges the same amount for linux or windows hosting, so it's not a matter of one being cheaper. (Unless they recently changed something I'm not aware of.)

It really only makes a difference if you're using more advanced web features such as asp, asp.net, php, etc. Otherwise it shouldn't make a difference if it's just straight HTML. If you're not 100% sure, you can go ahead and pick one, then see if your web site works okay.

I'm hosted with them and I ran into this same quandry when I first signed up. I picked Windows at first (not knowing it wasn't referring to my OS "Windows XP" duh!). When I figured it out a few days later, I emailed them asking to be switched over to Linux and it was done within an hour. No problemo! So I'd say just pick whichever one you want and if it doesn't work, do like bravo suggested & like I did, and just let them know you need to be switched.

nothing really didn't work...that I noticed anyways. I just read on their site where .php extensions was listed under Linux (for Windows, they listed .asp) and my website is built in php. I was afraid there would be problems with the contact forms and/or pages or whatever, down the road somehow. So I just had them switch me over to be safe.

It may be that the Windows would have been perfectly fine, I just didn't want to take a chance. Plus other website owners I knew had recommended that I switch to the Linux version because of the stability & reliability of it. Sorry I can't tell you more about it, but that's about the extent of my knowledge on those two, lol.

Good luck with it, whichever way you decide to go! :-)

Both Windows and Linux support PHP. They might not have PHP installed for Windows though. ASP is a rather old, insecure scripting language, and you need a powerful server computer to run ASPX (asp.net) with any performance. The vast majority of webservers out there run Apache on some flavor of Linux or BSD, and with good reason...they're more stable and secure in the hands of a good administrator.

Windows for the desktop. Linux for the server. That's just the way it is. :)

Sorry I can't tell you more about it, but that's about the extent of my knowledge on those two, lol.

Actually this does help. I wanted to know how you came about making this choice, because for me it was more like a 'superstition' than basing on actual facts.

I don't agree...

ASP is still very widely used and isn't an insecure language- it depends on how you set up your security. And you can run aspx (asp.net) pages on any server that you can install the .Net framework on- it doesn't necessarily have to be a "powerful" server. Any good web hosting company should already have more than enough power in their servers to support aspx pages.