Using Essential Oils

Hi, my name is Jerry and I make candles. Need some advice please. I use 125 soy wax and put an ounce of essential oil per pound of wax. I heat to 180 and pour into an 11 ounce rocks glass at 150. Is there something else I need to do to make my candles throw better? I believe I am already putting in more oil then is recommended.

A lot depends on the wick you use as well as the wax.

Give us the diameter of the glass & tell us what wick you are using & I'm sure someone will chime in to help.

I use 0.5 -0.6 oz per # wax when I use E.O & usually get a good throw with that amount....you can overdo the amount of EO or FO which won't help you make a stronger candle but will cost you more $$$$$.

Try using the search at the top of the page, it's wonderful, & there's a sticky for newbies too.........btw, welcome to CT & your new addiction.:smiley2:

Sally.

I started off making candles with EO's and finally gave up. I have heard from MANY different sources that EO's just don't do well in candles. I have switched to FO's because most of my customers like a very strongly scented candle. I read that the essential oils "bind" to the wax and that the fragrance doesn't release. That's why it has a cold throw but doesn't throw while burning.

I have also read that EO's aren't true oils and that's another reason they may not throw well when burned. They basically "evaporate" before the scent can be released. I'm sure someone out there has come up with a formulation that works, but I never could. Good luck!

Mama

You may be using too much EO. But it may be your wax too. Does this wax throw well when using FO? I've been doing some awesome combos lately.

Lavender, Patchouli, & Orange

Spearmint, Peppermint, & Lavender

Orange, Ginger

Nutmeg, Cassia, & Vanilla

Peppermint, Vanilla

Are just a few that I find work very well.

Of course curing helps too. And if they aren't 100% pure oils (they're cut with a base oil) this would effect the throw too.

HTH:smiley2:

EOs are trickier... try samples from several suppliers - not all EOs are created alike. We have not made many using EOs but we pour much cooler than you do and we add the EO just before pouring and stir well. We use NatureWax C-3 with Universal Soy additive and UV stabilizer. The scents are frequently more subtle than the FOs, but they were within reason to us. Good luck!:D

• 3 weeks later...