Computer Help

beesweet

CDR's vs. Flash Drives

Here's my current situation:

I work with both a desktop and laptop at times, with a third processor to be introduced into the mix when my Vista upgrade arrives. I am now unable to write to CDRW's from the older desktop and use them on the laptop. It just comes up as a blank disc when the laptop opens it. Before this, I couldn't write to the same disc from both computers or it would wipe out the files from the opposite computer. I *can* use CDR's to save from each separately that can be read by the opposite computer but I now have a pile of half-used cd's that I have to sift through. It's madness but I have to be able to work on files on the go a few times a month. So my question, would I benefit from purchasing a flash drive and be able to save everything there to swap back and forth or no?

Thanks for any help. Someone so computer illiterate shouldn't have this many computers to worry over! :laugh2:

You *should* be able to swap CDRW's between computers, but it often depends on the software used to write them, how they are formatted, etc. I have used both CDRW's and flash drives to accomplish this same thing, but find it's much faster and more effecient to use the flash drives (depending on how much storage space you need). They are reasonably priced now, too. In any case, that would be my recommendation to you (coming from someone with WAY too many computers in her home!)

HTH :D

Fabulous! Thanks! :grin2:

When I first started using both of the computers, I didn't have any trouble swapping cdr's and cdrw's around. I had replaced the cdrw drive in the desktop only a couple of weeks before getting the laptop so the read/write speeds were similar. Suddenly, the blank cd thing started if I saved to the same cdrw from both computers and gradually progressed to the laptop not being able to read the desktop cdrw and the desktop would show the files on the laptop cdrw but get an error opening them. HP tech support tried to help me, but 3 different people said they had never seen such a thing. :confused:

Anyhoo, flash drive it is...off to find one. Thanks again!

I "third" the vote for flash drives! They are awesome...so convenient too. I also use a laptop and a desk top. (DH has Vista and I'm hissing at him to stay away from *my* computers!) Word of warning though....they are small and easily lost! LOL. Mine are now on neck lanyards...not so much to wear but so they don't get lost! After Xmas I bought 2 - 1GB each jump drives on Buy.com for $35...and had free shipping to boot. Very much loved over the CDR's and CDRW's.

Hope that helps!

Donna

I highly recommend the flash drive also, but beware that you can lose all the info on them too. I had a 1G flash drive that suddenly quit working for no apparent reason. I've learned to back them up periodically too onto CD or another flash. I never want to go thru that nightmare again!

I would strongly recommend flash drives as well, although setting up a LAN is overwhelmingly preferrable if you need to transfer files between the systems locally. An external hard drive is also an option, as it's far more reliable than a flash drive, but they tend to be expensive, although you can get an IDE conversion kit, which converts any IDE drive into an external, and they're relatively cheap...we have one here.

Nod, you lost me after

I would strongly recommend flash drives as well

:laugh2:

The largest I could find for a decent price locally was a 1 GB so I decided to order a 2 GB to start with. I'll be sure not to trust them for backup purposes, but with the cd situation, I'm not sure what to do about that. Currently, our main computer has an extra old hard drive that we use to backup files as well as making a cd copy every so often. Hopefully that will keep us covered until we have the new processor up and running.

Thanks, everyone!

A LAN is a Local Area Network. Basically what you do is have all of your computers connected to a hub or router using ethernet connections. It's kinda detailed and you're best off getting someone experienced to help you out, but if you can plug in a phone line to your computer, then you can set up a LAN because it's very similar from the hardware point of view.

I also use flash drives, and love them. Soooo easy.

But I was cautioned by my computer technician to be careful about removing them. He recomended using the remove software safely. (Or whatever it says). He says that they can be blown if you don't, he has had one do that. I never have, but am more careful now.

We are looking into both other options, the external drive and networking. He also said if you have DSL, with a router you can set them up wireless. I have an older computer, plus a laptop. At the store we use two laptops. Being networked would make our lives much easier. Especially with printers. But haven't had it all done yet, I tried and didn't really understand it.

We really need to start backing up our work, I know we are playing Russian Roulette. Besides jillions of pictures I have on them.

But I was cautioned by my computer technician to be careful about removing them. He recomended using the remove software safely. (Or whatever it says). He says that they can be blown if you don't, he has had one do that. I never have, but am more careful now.

We are looking into both other options, the external drive and networking. He also said if you have DSL, with a router you can set them up wireless. I have an older computer, plus a laptop. At the store we use two laptops. Being networked would make our lives much easier. Especially with printers. But haven't had it all done yet, I tried and didn't really understand it.

Yeah, you should always use the "Remove Hardware Safely" option. It shows up in your system tray as a "removeable device" icon, just left-click on it for a list of connected devices to remove, or right-click for more options. Not safely removing any type of hotpluggable USB storage device can cause data corruption.

You can get a wireless router but depending on your area, wireless might not be the best choice. We've always stuck with wired routers because they're far more reliable. You connect the DSL modem to the router's uplink, then install wireless NICs in each computer. For laptops, it's easy...just install a wireless card into the PCMCIA slot. More detailed with desktop PCs though, you have to open up your beastie and install the new card. I think there are external wireless NICs that connect to the USB port though.