Container?...hot glue..stickums...

So what happens when you get down to the bottom of a container candle and the glue starts to heat up? Does it give off any smell? Is it toxic? I realize the need for sticking the wick to the bottom of the container but wonder about the end burn. And no I have never made or even used a container candle, they are just not my thing...but I'm getting ready to give them a whirl. TIA

Janette

So what happens when you get down to the bottom of a container candle and the glue starts to heat up? Does it give off any smell? Is it toxic? I realize the need for sticking the wick to the bottom of the container but wonder about the end burn. Janette

Hi Janette,

I have used Glue Dots, when I could get them to stick, Millcreeks stickems (not sure what they are called:o ) and Silicone. I have purposely burnt my containers clear to the bottom until the candle actually goes out b/c there is no wick left to burn and have not noticed a difference in scent or soot. I use high temp glue and the tabs stay put, so far...As far as toxicity is concerned I can't answer that one. You need to ask someone that has more smart pills than I do. :D

Hth and good luck with your venture.

I started with a glue gun and stuck my wicks to the container.. but had them start coming loose with the heat and the wicks sliding sideways. Now I use The Candlemakers Store stickums.. and they are great. Only way to get then loose is warm the jar and then spray with 409.. after a min they can be scraped loose.

If you use the industry standard 'height of neck' wick tab (I believe 6mm) it shouldn't be an issue unless you have overwicked and have too deep of a melt pool causing the adhesive to come loose - some manufacturers even offer a 10mm tall neck). I am currently using hot glue to attach my wicks with either a 6mm or 10mm neck.

Of course I could be wrong as I often am :grin2: , but if you have the correct wick/fo load and have tested your wax/fo and wick combo to the bottom of the jar, your melt pool should not get deeper than 1/2 inch during a regular 4 hour burn (marathon burns are another subject).

I'm still trying to get a good depth on my 70/30 soy/para blend but am very close :D

Safety first...test test test!

Thanks for the replies. I will start with the longer wick tabs and see how things go. I'm not sure I will ever get these to retail anyway...glassware is pricey here and not sure I will be able to come up with a marketable price in the end. I have some soy on its way to me and going to test essential oils to try and come up with a more "natural" product, but the whole glue issue has kept me from trying at all. Cheers,

Janette

I use the high temp glue sticks with my glue gun, and I've never had a problem... I have to dig the glue and stuff out after the candle has burnt all the way down. I use a good dollop of glue on the tabs before putting them down too.

HTH!

~Kristen~