Making the Glycerin Soap Base

northendcrossing

Does anyone have a recipe for making the soap base (glycerin)? I have looked all over the net and all my books that I have unpacked so far. I can buy the base to melt down etc etc, but I cannot find the recipe to make the base...

I have glycerin and I'm going to have a BUNCH MORE toward the end of October.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

vanessa

northendcrossing

Was reading here:

http://www.cranberrylane.com/soapmaking.htm

And came across this - are you wanting to make "transparent soap" ?

"Transparent Soap: This soap is made clear by adding solvents such as alcohol to prevent crystals from forming as the soap cools. Transparent soap is often referred to as Glycerin Soap. However, this is a fallacy as glycerin is not needed to produce a clear or transparent soap. This soap can be drying to the skin." This was quoted from the cranberry lane site

just a question, why do you want to make your own when there are so many wonderful bases available. the premade bases are far more forgiving of the constant melting process than the make your own is....

the glycerin could be used in lotions and bath products like bubble bath bars etc..........

cheryl

to make transparent soap you don't add glycerin, it is a similar method to CP but has alcohol to make it clear etc, plus there are some other differences.

To make glycerin soap base like you purchase from a supplier you would need other agents that are not necessarily soap, they are chemicals or some other agent to cause the base to foam like soap.

I know there is a lot more to these processes that I am not putting here, but I am just trying to make a distinction between transparent soap and the glycerin.

What I am assuming is you for some reason have a lot of bulk glyerin and you were tring to utilize it by making your own base but I don't know how that is accomplished or if it is possible by actually making soap...BUT I COULD BE WRONG

Does anyone have a recipe for making the soap base (glycerin)? I have looked all over the net and all my books that I have unpacked so far. I can buy the base to melt down etc etc, but I cannot find the recipe to make the base...

I have glycerin and I'm going to have a BUNCH MORE toward the end of October.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

vanessa

northendcrossing

I do not want to discourage you but being quite frank, glycerin is worthless to homemade soap makers. Glycerin is a natural by-product that is produced during the soap making process. We do not add it to the soap it just occurs with the chemical reaction.

To my knowledge, there are no homemade melt and pour glycerin soap recipes. The reasoning why? It is made commerically with very expensive equipment and supplies. It is also VERY dangerous and flammable. Alcohol is actually burned during one step of the process.

Might I suggest that you start making lotion? :wink2:

• 1 year later...