Wax dipped stuffed animals

Hello,

Lately I've seen these air freshners that are wax dipped stuffed animals. I've been looking for a kit to make them. Would a pillar candle making kit do the job? The metal cooking pot didn't look quite big enough. On this site it said to use a cooker. What kind exactly? I've never made any candles yet, so this would be my first time out with making anything actually. *lol* I know these aren't candles, and I know they aren't meant to be lit, good God could you imagine lighting one of these up!:shocked2: Anyways, I am hoping someone out there has tried to make these or knows everything I'd need to make them. My list so far consists of...

A cooker (not sure what kind)

fragrance oils

wax

stuffed animals

tongs

heat resistant gloves

cookie sheet.

Am I missing anything? This is why I'd like to get a kit if there is one available, mostly because I have no idea where to get the oils, wax, or what kind of cooker.

I get paid this week and will be ordering whatever you guys suggest to try this. I can't wait!:drool:

I stopped making these a couple years ago, but still get requests once in a while. They were good sellers for a while, then the novelty wore off.

I just used a large coffee can to melt my paraffin wax, added fragrance oil. Use tongs to dip the critter and push it down into the wax and another set of tongs to squeeze out the excess wax while holding over the melting container. Then I set them on a wire rack which I had on several layers of newspaper.

You can buy the wax and fragrance from one of the many suppliers out there, or since you are just starting out...visit your local craft store. This way you can see if you like doing it before buying in large quantity.

Thanks jbren!

I thought this was something new as I had never seen it before. *lol* I want to make everything, the bears, candles, bath bombs, soaps. I've just never done any of it and those bears seemed the easiest to start with. Maybe I'll just buy a kit for all the others and see how it goes. I don't have a talented bone in my body and it really sucks when I see the beautiful items you guys are making and I can only wish I could do that.

Thanks again!

Thanks jbren!

I thought this was something new as I had never seen it before. *lol*

It just may be new in your area! Things travel in different cycles in different areas. I was chatting with creativegems the other day, and it seems like we were making gel candles before they ever became popular in other areas. I was selling a ton of them in PA 7 and 8 years ago...then the dollar stores and Walmart started selling them and even though they were crap...they were cheaper than what I could sell them for.

Hi jbren,

Then maybe I should try one to see how it goes. I see these bears advertised for that specifically, I'm guessing they have to be certain stuffed animals, and not just any old kind that sits up? You used a coffee can? That's great! I am just dying to try something, anything really, to see if I can even do it. I do spend a fortune on candles weekly, even more so now that I'm in a different area at work where guys are always at. You know how they tend to leave their smell after 12 hours. *lol*

Thank you again for your help! One day, I hope to show pictures on this site of really cool stuff that I did. Ok, pipedream, but a girl can dream, right? *lol*