Making Beneficial B&B?

Fern-Marie

Hi, I have been wondering about this for a long time.

We all know that certain oils and EOs have healthful benefits. But how do you know that the amount of these that you add are at a percentage that is beneficial, and will do what it is intended to do?

I can add CoQ10, or Emu Oil to a lotion or balm, and label a product that it has these wonderful ingredients, but if they are not enough percentage wise to do the job,

how can I know it?

I'm asking as a consumer, as well as a potential crafter.

Thanks for your help.

Fern-Marie

I posted to this yesterday and my comp froze up, so I gave up and was hoping someone would be able to help. I can only say it sounds like you only need to know percentages. From what i've read on most any of the sites that tell you about each EO's properties, they usually give you the % you need in general B&B applications. It usually is a matter of drops per bottle. I know this doesn't sound like much, but these are really concentrated botanicals. I would also suggest finding a site you like and looking around to see where/who you should contact for q's. There really are a lot of informative sites on EO's.

I am local to glorybeefoods- so I will use them as an example...they aren't a huge company overall but they have a lot of EO's and have always been extra friendly and helpful. Go to their site www.glorybeefoods.com and see if they have a 1-800#

Also from reading those sites, it seems like I remember most useage rates at about 3-5% for most of the EO's. Some like Tea Tree can be used directly on the skin and does not need a carrier oil to buffer it, so the %'s for something like that could be very high. If I have mis quoted this, and you know differently, please -someone out there- correct me, lol

The way I look at it, and I am in no way a fanatical naturalist... 1% Calendula vs 1% chemical is a better choice. Even if it's not enough to cure something, I know it's better than the other. And I am glad to know i'm using it. It's just how I think about it. We aren't supposed to really tout what it can do anyways so you aren't making any false claims by not having 'enough'. Of course you want to make it the best you can, and that means actually doing what you intended. This is where testing and feedback is so important. But I'm pretty sure you can easily get %'s from a supplier. They DO know how much it takes and will happily guide you.

Good luck.

It depends on what you are trying to do. If you are using it just as a marketing ploy as presenty done by many large companies then it doesn't matter how much you use. If you are trying to make it beneficial, what are you trying to fix? Sometimes its easier to identify the problem and work backwards. The internet and the library have a multitude of info on natural healing. The world of botanicals is fasinating, mystical, and exciting. Go for it.