J223 and wet spots

I am having a HORRIBLE time with wet spots. I warm the jars in the oven and pour at 155. I leave them in the oven to cool and it doesn't help. They come out alright but wet spots start appearing within a couple of hours. they start out as very small spots then they start to vein out (it actually looks like veins!!) until 3/4 of the wax has pulled away from the jar. It looks terrible and I'm not sure what to do to stop it. I even added 2oz/pp of crisco to see if that would help but it only slowed the process a little. Has anyone else had this problem?

J223 is notorious for wet spots! I did all of the "right things" in the hopes of minimizing them. I ended up having to hit the sides of my jars with a heat gun and that helped some. Interesting enough, I (inadvertently) discovered a way to get rid of them completely.

My work space is a finished room in my attic. One night after pouring, I accidentally turned the heat off before going downstairs. The next night when I went back up the room was cold (49 degrees)!! I looked at the candles I had poured, expecting the worst, and instead discovered that none of them had wet spots. All of the wax had pulled away from the jar.

I always heard that slow cooling was the way to minimize wet spots. Haven't read or heard anywhere that "freezing them" would get rid of them but it's been working for me! I'm not sure what I'm going to do come summer, but right now, I'm enjoying my wet spot free jars!:grin2:

:grin2: I use J223 and have not had problems with the wax pulling away from the jar or wet spots. I pour at 150 and pre-heat the jars on warm in my toaster oven. I had wet spots one time and it was when I used a mason type jar that was thinner in size than the regular mason jars. hope all works out, I like the J223 for convenience. :)

J223 is notorious for wet spots! I did all of the "right things" in the hopes of minimizing them. I ended up having to hit the sides of my jars with a heat gun and that helped some. Interesting enough, I (inadvertently) discovered a way to get rid of them completely.

My work space is a finished room in my attic. One night after pouring, I accidentally turned the heat off before going downstairs. The next night when I went back up the room was cold (49 degrees)!! I looked at the candles I had poured, expecting the worst, and instead discovered that none of them had wet spots. All of the wax had pulled away from the jar.

I always heard that slow cooling was the way to minimize wet spots. Haven't read or heard anywhere that "freezing them" would get rid of them but it's been working for me! I'm not sure what I'm going to do come summer, but right now, I'm enjoying my wet spot free jars!:grin2:

I know this is an old post, but just had to bring it up again to say THANK YOU DEB!!!!!!!!!!! I have been driving myself mad with wet spots and J223. Did everything your supposed to do to avoid them, but they eventually appeared. I froze 3 jars and its been a few days and they havnt come back yet. It even makes my jars look so much better, thicker with the wax pulled away. Hopefully it continues to work out. You may have just saved my sanity.Thanks again for the tip! :grin2:

I know this is an old post, but just had to bring it up again to say THANK YOU DEB!!!!!!!!!!! I have been driving myself mad with wet spots and J223. Did everything your supposed to do to avoid them, but they eventually appeared. I froze 3 jars and its been a few days and they havnt come back yet. It even makes my jars look so much better, thicker with the wax pulled away. Hopefully it continues to work out. You may have just saved my sanity.Thanks again for the tip! :grin2:

how long did you wait after pouring to cool them down?

they were already completly cooled and repoured, made them a few days before reading this post. Then just stuck them in the freezer for a few hours. I've had them today sitting in a warm room to see what happens, so far, the wet spots aren't returning, but we'll see.........

We discovered the cold idea after leaving a candle on our enclosed porch one night. The only problem we have had is that once we bring them back in, the wet spots come back. The same thing in every container we use.

Are you still using J223 then or have you switched?

Yeah I use 4630 now....I love it!!!!! Very easy to cut and great cold and hot throw!

I really thought we had J223 figured out! I was so excited to have all the wax pull away! But the warm temp brought the spots back faster than ever! With the 4630 I see alot less wet spots and sometimes there are NONE!!! I use my basement for the candle work and its pretty cold down there and I havent had any problems. As soon as I am able to move them I bring them upstairs and do all my wick cutting and labeling though! Just an Idea! Hope this helps!

I really did love this wax when we were in the testing stages...the hot and cold throw was awesome...but I just could not stand the wet spots. One or two here or there is fine, but they would be all around the jar!

We finally switched to 4630 and have been very happy with it!

Is 4630 comparable to 4627. I'm considering going to 4627 and dealing with the messiness as long as i can get it wicked right.

I have a whole box of 4627...I will let it collect dust LOL! Its soooo messy and I cannot get rid of the wet spots with that wax. There horrible for me. This is only my experience Im sure there are some on here that love the wax. I kept a wooden kitchen spoon in the box so I could scoop it out...it gets all over your hands and arms...only thing positive about that wax is how fast it melts!:tongue2: LOL

Thanks for all the advise you guys. I really appreciate it.

I have a 10lb sample of 4627 that someone was nice enough to send me but I only poured 1 candle with it and decided to wait til I had more time to test it. Does this get wet spots as bad as J223 does?

I'm like you Jane, the wet spots I get are all over the jar and they look horrible. Do any of you have problems with wet spots with the 4630.

I really do love the J223 wax but I just can't get past the wet spots :(

I think we notice them more than the customer does. I have never had anyone remark about, or question, the wet spots. I really think it's something that just drives us crazy and the average customer doesn't give them a second thought.

I have been reading this post and I get wet spots just like you are saying but with J50. I've washed jars, heated jars, put in warm oven to dry slower and still get them. Some are not bad and some are horrible. I use the heat gun to fix them and still some come back. But if you look in stores they have wet spots too on a lot of the candles. I talked to a woman who has a small store and sells good candles, she has wet spots on her candles and she didn't even notice until I pointed them out to her. She said...as long as they burn nice and smell good....wet spots don't matter. So go figure, I thhink we worry to much about them. But I like a perfect looking candle as well as perfect burn and great throw. So I guess I'll just keep fixing them up with the heat gun. Winter has been worse for me also. This is my first winter making candles. We need to get rid of the wet spot demon! Agree? :shocked2: