Instant Paste...Oh MY!

Brenda

This morning I set about making my second batch of liquid soap per Garp's Tutorial posted on The Dish. She uses the direct heat method instead of double boiler or crock pot. Yesterday everything proceeded normally (as far as I could gauge since I'm a raw beginner at this process.) Yesterday's recipe was 40% coconut and 60% rice bran oil. I wound up spending hours in the kitchen working on this process, but that is what I had expected.

So today I tried coconut (1 lb), olive (1 lb), and AKO (10 ounces). Measured accurately. Everything was proceeding normally in my 4 quart pan, but I noticed it came to trace faster and cooked faster even though the heat applied was the same.

I took it off the heat when it began to puff up and that soap started climbing right out of the pan!!! Stirring didn't tame it. I gave a quick yell and my husband came running. I managed to get the pot to the sink while extremely hot soap is oozing over the rim - thank goodness for rubber gloves. All in all I managed to save about half of it by pouring it into my huge stainless steel soap pot. I'm now boiling water to dilute the paste. By the time I could look back into the big pot it had all gone straight to paste!

I shall post results later. Next time I'll use the big pot from the beginning. :shocked2:

Here's my "instant" soap paste:

LS_paste.jpg