crock pots!

RXCMAS

I might be asking a dumb question, but here goes:

I am wondering if you guys or any of you use your crock pot for both soap process, and wax processing? Or Cooking food? I need to know what to do before i do something stupid. Also have seen different crock pots, I do not like the ones you have to press to turn up or down, i prever the knobs on the crock pot, from what i have heard people say it they often have to try hurry and turn down the heat during the cookin process.:smiley2:

I don't know about using one for soaping and cooking. Using the same pot for lye and food just isn't wise. As for wax, it's not recommended. Most crockpots only have H/M/L. Though you could use a thermometer to see what temp each setting would make the wax, you'll only have 3 choices. If one of the settings happens to be the right temp you want to pour ALL your wax it, it might work ok. For wax you really need a pot with a variable temp control dial (like Presto Pots). JMO

Yes, i have been looking thru charity stores, or good will for those crock pots. Some of those places think they can charge so much for used products. One place wanted 15 dollars for crock pot! I can go to walmart and buy a brand new one only 23 bucks for a 6 quart. I have seen the old original stick blenders, parts were missing. I have seen at michaels, their melting pot for waxes with all the stuff in it for i think 20 bucks, i am waiting for the sunday's paper to get the coupon for 40 percent off i believe. Well i also love the Estate sales, so am keeping my eyes open for that, hopefully i can find what i need.

Well i knew i would have gotten an answer i already knew regarding those crock pots, but had ask a dumb question LOL.:shocked2:

Im new but I went to goodwill (charity store like red cross) they had crockpots for 4-5 dollars so I bought all four of them. They are a little beat up but they work. I would feel funny about cooking food in them but they work for soap.

I use mine for cooking and soaping, the glass (or ceramic) is nor porous and can be completely cleaned, plus with hot process the lye is cooked out. I have a Rival that has a warm, low and high knob. I prefer the knob too but I have not had to turn it down before, all crocs are different. I don't know how large it is but I can only make 3lbs of soap or else it will overflow. I would like a bigger one to do larger batches but I don't have the space for another one. hth